Senior Cost Estimator
City : BURNABY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Senior Cost Estimator - ( 230002F8 )
Many of the world’s top engineers and scientists come together in our Water business because they view a community’s interaction with water a bit differently—as a single holistic system, rather than unconnected networks divided by jurisdictional boundaries. Working throughout the hydrologic cycle, we are delivering sustainable solutions to make sure water is where it should be and available when needed. Our experts guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. Every day, we help communities improve, reuse, and protect this precious resource for future generations. By 2025 we’re hiring 2,000 people (like you) to join our team. Grow with us, H2O+U.
The role of a Senior Cost Estimator is to work on medium and large projects as a team member on the Iona Wastewater Treatment Plant Project and Water Business Unit. As you continue your career you will work with Stantec's Estimating/Scheduling team, supporting our many projects and utilizing your vital experience. You will be a productive member of the team and will mentor and support others in the development of their skills. Working directly with the Engineering and Construction team, you also will gain experience in complex large projects to further your career in Project Estimating.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for a Senior Cost Estimator to prepare and review estimates in accordance with company policy and standards. The team is in Stantec’s Burnaby office and this position will be hybrid or remote work eligible.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Acts as the Subject Matter Expert for Cost Estimating; leads the effective development, implementation, communication and training of Program Cost Estimating procedures, systems and tools.
- Ensures that cost estimates are robust, realistic, and well documented for all projects and that they have been developed by qualified cost estimators according Program requirements.
- Review the projects’ cost estimates as part of the stage gate process.
- Develop training programs in support of major projects to manage overall Project Cost Estimating principles and expectations. Assesses each project to determine appropriate training and mentoring required to ensure consistency.
- Review project cost estimates to ensure the full integrated scope of the project is incorporated and that there is alignment between the cost estimate, the project schedule and execution strategy.
- Review contractor prices at bid, during negotiation and on high value claims.
- Plans and participates in consultants and contractor’s estimates kick-off meetings to establish all deliverables, including formats, Work Breakdown Structure (WBS), Cost Breakdown Structure (CBS), Client commodity codes , CSI master format divisions and cost estimate review schedule.
- Participate actively in the Quantitative Risk Assessment to support the integrated cost and schedule contingency process.
- Works collaboratively with Program Team to facilitate information sharing among staff to transfer knowledge and experience and increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the team.
- Prepare estimates by applying unit rates for man hours, labor dollars, material dollars, and construction equipment dollars and all-in unit cost determination, calculating extensions and the application of standard factors, overhead rates and fees for medium and large projects of moderate complexity.
- Prepare and review material take-offs from planning documents or engineering drawings.
- Develop detailed cost estimates from the engineering drawings; proactively identify deficiencies and/or questions; and actively assist the project team toward the answers.
- Performs scenario comparisons and uncertainty analysis of cost estimates.
- Review the labor rates to confirm conformance to the contract specifications and are in conformance with working restrictions.
- Review the material pricing and validate against R.S. Means and other supporting data.
- Review quantities and ensure there is a fair and reasonable representation of additional scope, as well as possible credits.
- Review pre-purchased material or equipment and/or equipment rental rates against fair and reasonable pricing references.
- Review contractor mark-ups to ensure that the correct mark-ups are being used.
- Assist in developing the record of negotiation documentation.
- Proactively communicate when an estimate changes and why.
- Review contract documents and contract modifications to determine scope of work and equitable cost allowance for scope changes.
- May develop and prepare monthly project reports for both internal and external use.
- Establish appropriate delay activities and associated reporting in compliance with the project contract requirements and company policy.
- Performs other key responsibilities of a similar nature and level as assigned.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to work with others on medium to large complex projects.
- Ability to solve problems using sound professional judgment, creativity and innovation.
- Solid technical knowledge of cost/estimating, engineering design, and construction practice.
- Demonstrated understanding of construction means and methods for large civil and concrete structures.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, direct, perform, review, and present cost estimating projects with a minimum of supervision.
- Demonstrated understanding of basic construction means and methods.
- Ability to interpret drawings, the contract and specification requirements.
- Management and organizational skills with the ability to work with owner’s representatives, contractor’s management staff, construction supervision, and multiple subcontractors to meet critical deliverables.
- Strong interpersonal skills to deal with Scheduling and Project Staff and/ or Client.
- Ability to interpret the needs of the project in order to determine the best method to produce the desired schedule and/ or graphics.
- Ability to see a project through from start to finish and recognize when assistance is required from others in the department.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and to work with others to achieve group results.
- Ability to multi-task, work on several projects or tasks at once, manage time, organize, and set priorities.
- Ability to make timely decisions.
- Positive attitude with strong relationship building skills.
- Ability to guide and mentor estimating team members as necessary in engineering and construction based estimating techniques and methodologies.
- Firm understanding of different contract methods and how they apply to estimating.
- Proficient in estimating and scheduling software (Primavera 6).
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Operations Management, Business Management or related field. Minimum of 8 years of experience preferred.
- Certification in Estimating (e.g. GSC) is an asset.
- More than ten (10) years of relevant experience on large Programs and Projects cost estimating.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.The experience will forever shape your future. #FeelingEnergized
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby
Organization : BC-1117 Water-CA British Columbia
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jun 8, 2023, 3:09:43 PM
Req ID: 230002F8
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans