Senior Copywriter – Shoppers Drug Mart (13-Month Contract)
City : Toronto, Ontario
Category : Full time
Industry : Communication
Employer : Shoppers Drug Mart®
Referred applicants should not apply directly to this role.
All referred applicants must first be submitted through Workday by a current Loblaw Colleague.
Come make your difference in communities across Canada, where authenticity, trust and making connections is valued – as we shape the future of Canadian retail, together. Our unique position as one of the country's largest employers, coupled with our commitment to positively impact the lives of all Canadians, provides our colleagues a range of opportunities and experiences to help Canadians Live Life Well®.
At Loblaw Companies Limited, we succeed through collaboration and commitment and set a high bar for ourselves and those around us. Whether you are just starting your career, re-entering the workforce, or looking for a new job, this is where you belong.
Loblaw Agency is our newly minted, in-house creative agency within our Marketing team and we are hiring many new exciting roles. At Loblaw Agency, we expertly translate our customers’ needs into real, engaging work that speaks to Canadians and drives brand love. Join our growing team and come dream up original creative for some of Canada’s most loved and trusted brands!
Do you like words? Specifically imagining them, typing them, sorting them into brilliant, efficient sentences? Then this is the role for you. Loblaw Agency is currently looking for a Senior Copywriter (Contract) to join our team. Reporting to the Associate Creative Director, the Senior Copywriter (Contract) will work in partnership with a Manager, Art Direction and play an integral role on our Loblaw Agency team. The chosen candidate will develop concepts and write copy in support of Shoppers Drug Mart and its associated brands. This includes copywriting for marketing campaigns, video scripts, national radio campaigns, in-store signage, website and email assets, marketing books, permanent store graphics, digital media, etc.
If this feels like it’s you, raise your hand. You are passionate about being part of a team that delivers the best customer experience. As a Senior Copywriter, you thrive on taking an idea and making it different and engaging. Without forgetting the fun! But above all, you make it all relevant to the customer. You understand what makes each of the channels unique and you are driven by results. Whether it's a transactional tactic or large campaign, you can distill information and data insights to craft a message that tells a compelling story. You're a team player and collaborator who wants to take all the most engaging ideas for compelling copy.
If you are passionate about unique, imaginative, data-driven ideas, if you are excited about working on Shoppers Drug Mart – one of the most recognized and trusted names in Canadian retail – and if you thrive in an engaging, fast-paced environment, we’d like to meet you. Like now.
Primary location will be at 243 Consumers Road, Toronto ON. Secondary locations such as our Loblaw offices at Bathurst and Lakeshore, Toronto ON and 1 Presidents Choice Circle, Brampton ON may be required as needed. Loblaw has a hybrid work arrangement, with opportunity to work some days remotely.
- The Senior Copywriter (Contract) will partner with a Manager, Art Direction on concept development and messaging structure for key campaigns and all types of consumer-facing materials
- Strong strategic skills to ensure concepts are insight-driven and on brief
- Attend briefings and kick-off meetings and offer insight and expertise on best practices for messaging
- Develop concepts and copy across consumer-facing channels including in-store signage, out of home, print, digital, social, broadcast (scripts for radio, TV, OLV) etc.
- Ensure a seamless customer message across all consumer touchpoints that reflects the brand
- Lead presentations of creative concepts and messaging to various marketing teams and Senior Management
- Ensure all projects meet brand standards and are completed on schedule
- Review talent castings and direct radio records/shoots as required to ensure the quality of the creative vision
- Keep abreast about advertising trends, consumer surveys and other data regarding marketing related to Shoppers Drug Mart and its products and services
- Use organizational skills to maintain processes that provide structure to workflow of copy within the creative department
- College or University degree, with a focus on writing & marketing communications, creative advertising or equivalent
- Minimum 5+ years of experience in copywriting/advertising/communications
- Demonstrated proficiency of writing across all channels – retail copywriting, digital, radio and script writing experience necessary
- Extreme attention to detail and strong multi-tasking/organizational skills
- Knowledge of the marketplace and industries we operate in, creative strategy, and the competitive landscape
- A passion for big idea thinking and consumer-centric storytelling and writing content that stands out in today’s world
- A conceptual thinker that is confident presenting big ideas at meetings and brainstorming sessions
- Able to work independently and collaborate with a fast-moving team, in a stimulating and ever-evolving environment
How You’ll Succeed
- At Loblaw, we seek great people to continually strengthen our culture. We believe great people model our values, are authentic, build trust and make connections.
- If that sounds like you, and you are open-minded, responsive to change and up to the challenges provided in a fast-paced retail environment, apply today.
Our commitment to Sustainability and Social Impact is an essential part of the way we do business, and we focus our attention on areas where we can have the greatest impact. Our approach to sustainability and social impact is based on three pillars – Environment, Sourcing and Community – and we are constantly looking for ways to demonstrate leadership in these important areas. Our CORE Values – Care, Ownership, Respect and Excellence – guide all our decision-making and come to life through our Blue Culture. We offer our colleagues progressive careers, comprehensive training, flexibility, and other competitive benefits – these are some of the many reasons why we are one of Canada’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, Canada’s Greenest Employers & Canada’s Top Employers for Young People.
If you are unsure whether your experience matches every requirement above, we encourage you to apply anyway. We are looking for varied perspectives which include diverse experiences that we can add to our team.
We have a long-standing focus on diversity, equity and inclusion because we know it will make our company a better place to work and shop. We are committed to creating accessible environments for our colleagues, candidates and customers. Requests for accommodation due to a disability (which may be visible or invisible, temporary or permanent) can be made at any stage of application and employment. We encourage candidates to make their accommodation needs known so that we can provide equitable opportunities.
Candidates who are 18 years or older are required to complete a criminal background check. Details will be provided through the application process.