Senior Consultant, Global Technical Support
City : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Category : Global Customer Care
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Since 1992, Ciena has been driven by a relentless pursuit of network innovation. We believe in a network that grows smarter, more agile, and more responsive every day. This means that when you digitally interact in your world - picking up the phone, streaming video, texting a friend or loved one – your interactions are being enabled by Ciena technologies. Ciena makes your social / entertainment / business existence REAL.
No candidate will meet every single desired qualification. If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified below and you think you can bring value to the role, we’d love to learn more about you!
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Provide a technical leadership role system and solution level post-sales support for CIENA’s Customer base. Is able to work effectively in a cross functional manner in both Customer and Ciena environments. Is able to lead a team in problem resolution that may include testing, troubleshooting, on site and telephone technical support for CIENA products. Has strong expertise in the area of the fiber optic transport and/or switching protocols. Is proficient in the use of personal computers and associated tools, including Microsoft office suite of software. Comfortable in creating and presenting information to customers and Ciena management. High level expertise in data communications protocols including Ethernet and IP networks is required. Experienced with Element Management or Network Management systems is expected. Has professional experience and capabilities to provide input to operational structure and design of GTS. This position may also involve on-site day to day interaction with the customer concerning all aspects of network planning, deployment and technical network issues and design.
- Provide remote (via telephone or on line) technical support on identified CIENA products 24x7 when required. On call duty includes evenings and weekends as needed.
- Provide on-site support to Customers where required.
- Provide input to the Ciena PLC process as a GCC prime as required
- Assume responsibilities of a Customer Lead Engineer as required.
- Communicate with Design and manufacturing on problems / issues found in the field.
- Utilize debug tools as well as lab research to aid Customer’s technical problem. Recover information necessary to escalate the incident or issue to Design, Product/Project Management, Documentation, or Training
- Work with Quality Assurance, Design, Product Management, Technical Publications, and Training to provide Customer feedback.
- Review, validate and publish required MOP/ISB/FSB documents
- Chair Customer Operational Review meetings as required
- Develop an intimate in-depth knowledge of the Customer networks, deployments and overall solutions employed with Ciena equipment
- Identify Advance Service opportunities where possible
- Will assist in overall technical solution architecture
- Contribute to knowledgebase.
- Mentor, train advancing Technical Support Engineers.
- Provide in depth technical training to cross functional teams within GTS
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Perform a Customer Lead Engineer roll for specific customers
- Provide Engineering functions on-site or remote
- Travel to customer sites and Ciena locations globally (if required)
- Provide on-call assistance out of hours (if required)
- Ability to analyze, trouble-shoot and resolve complex multi discipline problems independently on in a team environment
- Motivated self-starter with excellent time management skills and an ability to work from broad guidelines with minimal supervision
- Extensive level of knowledge understanding of transport and switching systems for telecommunications applications/systems. Special proficiency in some products or technologies.
- Full understanding of Optical Networking and an understanding of Carrier Ethernet technologies.
- Proficient with various types of test equipment for optical and protocol testing.
- Able to perform or direct system level trouble shooting on fiber optic telecommunications transport and switching equipment.
- Extensive knowledge of data communications, UNIX/Linux as well as experience working in an IP network
- Understanding of programming languages, C, Java, Perl, Python.
- Strong abilities to build relationships and proven record of excellent Customer focus
- Team player that is ready to contribute or lead technical and non-technical problem solving in order to resolve customer concerns
- Willing to take responsibility for complete problem resolution
- Ability to deal with stressful situations with colleagues and customers
- Must have the clear ability to communicate effectively in English language both verbal and written
- Is able to work effectively at technical and management levels within customer environment and within Ciena.
- Work in a collaborative environment, which promotes sharing of knowledge and experiences.
- Must be punctual and able to accept some out of hours working.
- Bachelor’s degree in technical field (e.g. Engineering, Computer Science) from a four-year college or university with minimum 10 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Considers subject matter expert on multiple technologies and Ciena hardware.
- Very knowledgeable of the operation of fiber optic transport and/or switching equipment.
- Multiple years experienced in a Technical Consulting Role with increasing levels of technical expertise and responsibility
- Experience as a technical lead on specific projects or products
- Proven problem solving experience in especially in complex, cross functional issue
- Expert level knowledge and Experience with identify technologies and hardware products including OTN,SONET/SDH , Carrier Ethernet enterprise equipment and associated fiber optic facilities
- CE-E (Carrier Ethernet-Expert) certification
- OC-E (Optical Communications-Expert) certification
Being You @ Ciena
As part of our commitment to diversity and inclusion, we want to foster an environment that values and respects all individual’s strengths, perspectives, ideas, and ability to meet the needs of our customers globally. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status or any other category protected by applicable law. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination. Ciena is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, you should advise Ciena in a timely fashion of the specific accommodation measures required for you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.
We do not charge any fee for employment and the same applies to the Recruitment Partners we work with. Additionally, we do not ask for any refundable security deposit to be paid in bank accounts for employment purposes. We request candidates to be cautious of misleading communications and not pay any fee/ deposit to individuals/ agencies/ employment portals on the pretext of attending Ciena’s interview process or seeking employment with us.