*If you previously applied during the original posting of July 3, 2019 to July 12, 2019, no need to reapply as all applications will still be considered. Thank you.
Requisition ID: 1073
Number of Vacancies: 25
Department: Construction (20000208) - Construction Site Services (30000256)
Salary Information: View on TTC website - View on TTC website
Pay Scale Group: 9SA
Employment Type: 19 Regular; 6 Temporary until December 31, 2021
Weekly Hours: View on TTC website Off Days: View on TTC website Shift: View on TTC website
Posted On: February 14, 2020
Last Day to Apply: February 28, 2020
Reports to: View on TTC website
The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is North America's third largest transit system and has been recognized as one of the top places to work in the GTA. Guided by a forward-thinking strategic plan, the TTC's vision is to be a transit system that makes Toronto proud. The TTC's recruitment efforts are directly aligned to its mission of providing "a reliable, efficient, and integrated bus, streetcar and subway system that draws its high standards of customer care from our rich traditions of safety, service and courtesy."
*Please note that due to the nature of projects, shifts (day/night) and off days may vary. Overtime may be required to meet project deadlines or in case of emergencies.*
Provides inspection, examination, on site work acceptance, and preparation of reports on work progress for assigned construction contracts; ensures that work is performed in accordance with the contract plans and specifications as well as with applicable codes and safety regulations.
Key Job Functions
- Ensure the Contractor is fulfilling their duties and responsibilities with respect to safety, through ensuring that safety regulations and TTC policies are met, noting safety infractions that are hazardous, bringing infractions to the attention of the Construction Site Manager, and taking immediate action as necessary.
- Assist the Construction Site Manager with the administration of construction contracts by preparing daily work progress reports and a variety of contract status reports; issue Contract Deficiency Reports (CDRs) and follow up on the resolution of the same; monitor progress of work against schedules; review monthly contract progress payment requests; follow up to obtain answers to Requests for Information (RFIs); and prepare other official correspondence for signature.
- Act as a liaison between the Contractor, TTC Operations and Maintenance staff, utility companies, local municipalities, and other public agencies/regulatory bodies as required.
- Perform traction power cuts and set up work zones at subway track level as required.
- Promotes a respectful work and service environment that supports diversity, inclusion, and is free from harassment and discrimination. Provides leadership in the development and implementation of inclusive and accessible policies, programs and/or services for employees and customers in accordance with TTC’s commitments and obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and Related Orders, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), and TTC’s policies.
- Candidate will be required to participate in the TTC Customer Service Ambassador Program.
- Apply the principles and practices of quality assurance
- Understand and apply relevant laws and regulations
- Identify and minimize risk of Health and Safety issues
- Apply analytical skills
- Communicate in a variety of mediums
- Use office technology, software and applications
Education and Experience
- Completion of a post secondary college diploma or university degree in a related discipline (engineering technology, architectural technology), and demonstrated experience in the inspection of medium to heavy construction projects in an urban environment; or a combination of education, training and experience deemed to be equivalent.
- Possession of a Certificate of Qualification in a skilled construction trade or OACETT certification is an asset.
- Specialist expertise in one discipline with general knowledge of all disciplines is preferred.
- Comprehensive and current knowledge of construction principles and construction management practices, including construction safety, quality inspections, construction documentation, contract development/administration/enforcement, and claims management.
- Strong knowledge of construction products/materials to ensure quality and correct usage in construction projects.
- Sound knowledge of construction legislation and regulations, standards and codes, including the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, Construction Lien Act, and other rules and regulations pertinent to the work.
- Sound judgement; strong organizational, administrative, observational, and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and work with multi-disciplined teams and maintain effective working relationships.
- A valid Province of Ontario Class G driver’s licence and use of own vehicle to travel to construction work sites.
- Requires medium to heavy physical effort and ability, to climb ladders/scaffolds and perform traction power cuts at track level.
- May be required to substitute for the Construction Site Manager as needed.
We thank all applicants for their interest but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The TTC is committed to fostering a positive workplace culture with a workforce that is representative of the communities it serves. Committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion, the TTC encourages applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodation is available for applicants, including those with disabilities, throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources - Employment Services at (416) 393-4570.
The TTC’s Employment Policy prohibits relatives of current TTC employees from being hired, assigned, transferred or promoted into positions, where there is a conflict of interest due to relationship. Should you be selected for an interview, you will be required to disclose the name, relationship, and position of any relative who is a current TTC employee.