Senior Compliance Officer Institutional Equities
City : Montreal, Quebec
Category : Permanent Full-Time
Industry : Risk management
Employer : National Bank
A career as a Senior Compliance Officer, Institutional Equity Compliance Program and Trade Surveillance, you will be predominately responsible for the governance and oversight of our institutional equities and listed derivatives business activities. In this role, you can use your knowledge of FINRA, SEC, OCC blue sky requirements to have a positive impact on the organization.
National Bank of Canada Financial Inc. (“NBCFI”) is seeking to add a knowledgeable, driven, intellectually curious and experienced compliance professional to the compliance team led by the Chief Compliance Officer.
The position can be located in Montreal or Toronto.
• Oversee and provide advice on NBCFI’s institutional equity compliance program (includes trading in equities, options, and ETF redemption/creation businesses) to ensure compliance with required rules, regulations, and interpretive guidance, which includes but is not limited to: Market Access; Reg NMS (including REG SHO); Rule 606; Exchange Rules; Best Execution; Smart Routing; Algorithmic Trading; Order Routing and Payment for Order Flow Disclosures; and Trade Reporting Requirements (CATS, BlueSheets, TRF, ACT, etc.).
• Develop and perform real time and post trade surveillance (using both automated and manual processes) for our institutional equities trading activities to monitor and investigate potential breaches in Federal Securities Laws (e.g., market and price manipulation), regulatory violations, and potential suspicious activity that can adversely affect our organization.
• Monitor registered trading personnel business conduct, including electronic communications.
• Advise the institutional equity group on new regulatory requirements, products, services, exchange memberships, and automated systems to assist with incorporating compliance requirements into these initiatives. Ensure the maintenance and improvement of an appropriate control environment to manage and mitigate regulatory risk. Work with all business units and internal partners to pro-actively identify key regulatory risk exposures and develop appropriate controls/action plans to manage and mitigate these risks.
• Assist with managing regulatory exams, investigations and inquiries conducted by FINRA, OCC, SEC, state and foreign regulators.
• Manage two-way communication between (active and passive) ETF market makers to assist in the creation and redemption process – across standard, negotiated/cash, and custom in-kind baskets (develop and oversee processes and documentation around custom baskets for compliance with new ETF rule).
NBCFI is a full-service investment banking and financial services company dual-headquartered in New York (with our parent bank headquartered in Montreal). We are a Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) registered securities broker-dealer and member of the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), Options Clearing Corporation (OCC), and the Municipal Securities Rulemaking Board (MSRB).
• At least 7 years working for a broker-dealer, with at least 5 years of compliance experience
• Series 7 and 24 required; other regulatory licenses preferred
• Experience with US equity and derivative markets, products and services (including Exchange Trade Funds, Options, Market Making, and Direct Market Access) and knowledge of trading systems, flows, and strategies
• Proficient in US transaction monitoring systems
• Robust knowledge of and experience with FINRA, OCC, and SEC rules and experience coordinating broker-dealer regulatory exams and responses
- Health and wellness program, including many options
- Flexible group insurance
- Generous pension plan
- Employee Share Ownership Plan
- Employee and Family Assistance Program
- Preferential banking services
- Initiatives promoting community involvement
- Telemedicine service
- Virtual sleep clinic