Senior Climate Change Advisor
City : Montréal, QC
Category : Environment - Climate Change, Resilience & Sustainability
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
MONTREAL, QUEBEC, CALGARY, VANCOUVER, TORONTO - Everywhere in Canada (near a WSP office)
We are a global leader in the Earth and Environment sector. Globally headquartered in Montreal, where it all began, we proudly serve communities from coast to coast and beyond. We have over 14,000 multidisciplinary professionals worldwide collaborating daily to protect and conserve natural landscapes, create firm foundations for communities to stand on, and champion sustainable development to combat climate change.
As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources, expertise, and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from marine biologists to geophysicists to geotechnical engineers and more.
At WSP :
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
WSP Canada has an immediate opening to join our Climate Change, Resilience and Sustainability (CCRS) team as a Senior Advisor supporting our Climate Change Advisory practice. You will be part of a national team of climate change specialists, including engineers, planners, economists, scientists, and finance professionals who support our clients to plan and achieve their low-carbon climate resilient futures across Canada.
The immediate opportunity is to support leading Canadian institutional investors assess transition risk in their portfolios and make progress towards decarbonization. You will work closely with your teammates in CCRS to deliver projects for leading public and private clients. Our clients include TSX-60 and Fortune 50 corporate and financial institutions, large institutional investors, private equity funds and leading public sector organizations. The projects will range in type, size and complexity, and you will be responsible for leading and contributing to project teams to achieve project objectives,
If you are looking to be challenged, grow, and achieve meaningful impact, our team is unique in the market due to:
- Our technical depth and diverse expertise, within the largest pure climate change consulting team in Canada.
- The opportunity to work in partnership with global teams in the USA, the UK, continental Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and Asia.
- Our broad client base in Canada and abroad, across IT, finance, real estate, mining, natural resources, infrastructure, public sector, communities, agriculture, forestry, CPG, and international organizations such as the World Bank, the UNGC and the Principles for Responsible Investing.
- Our own corporate climate commitments and achievements which include:
- WSP’s Verified Science-Based Targets
- Our leadership in the Business Ambition for 1.5 degrees
- Achieving A– the second-best score, on our CDP submissions in 2019, 2020 and 2021
- Being named the “Most Sustainable Company in the Engineering Sector” globally in 2020 and 2021
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
As a senior member of the CCRS team, you will be:
- Leading the delivery of projects for clients with a focus on advising clients to assess their GHG emissions (Scope 1, 2 and 3), set net-zero and science-based targets, identify GHG reduction pathways, and develop decarbonization implementation plans and strategies.
- Managing multiple projects to deliver a quality service on time, and on budget.
- Collaborating with all national business lines within WSP providing advisory services with a focus on climate change, climate transition risks, and decarbonization planning.
- Managing the development of clear, concise and appealing written reports and presentations that convey technical information narratively and visually, understanding of the client’s needs and objectives, and recommendations to meet these objectives.
- Supporting business development activities with existing and prospective clients in the climate change and sustainability market sectors at the local, national, and international scales.
- Providing leadership to both internal and external teams.
- Contributing to the knowledge and professional development of employees in the group, providing mentorship as required.
- Leading knowledge and process development initiatives in your areas of expertise.
What you’ll bring to WSP:
- Advanced degrees in engineering or science, or studies in a relevant field.
- Senior level (10+ years) industry experience in providing technical and advisory services on a variety of climate change-related mandates.
- Demonstrated experience in managing projects, clients, service delivery, timelines, and budgets.
- Ability to lead teams working on both quantitative and qualitative workstreams and producing high-quality reports and presentations.
- Strategic and critical thinking and the capacity to work in a fast-paced and complex work environment.
- Exceptional communication, writing, collaboration, and problem-solving skills.
An ideal candidate will have expertise in at least two of the following areas. As noted, we are particularly looking for expertise in the AFOLU sector in the near term but are open to candidates with other strong technical backgrounds.
- Considerable knowledge of GHG accounting standards (such as the GHG Protocol, ISO 14064) and extensive experience conducting or leading the production of GHG inventories and life cycle assessments.
- Demonstrated professional experience in areas of work related to GHG inventory and climate change in several sectors or industries.
- Excellent understanding of global climate change issues.
- Exposure to climate change adaptation and mitigation strategies.
- Experience conducting Scope 3 value chain GHG assessments and knowledge of Scope 3 techniques and methods.
- Knowledge of target setting approaches, including science-based targets.
- Relevant knowledge of carbon offset markets and carbon credit accounting practices; and
- Proficiency with data analysis software (Excel and/or R) as well as presentation software (PowerPoint).