Senior Civil Materials Technician- Crew Lead
City : St. Johns, NF
Category : Z-WSP E&I Canada Ltd.
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms – made stronger with the recent creation of WSP E&I Canada Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of WSP Canada Inc.
We have over 63,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000 people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
WSP is seeking Senior Technicians for various projects from our St. John’s NL base office. Including projects in Qaqortoq, Greenland, and Argentia, Newfoundland. Responsible for the supervision of field and laboratory staff on project sites, act as the primary representative for client communication, review of technical work and overall performance, reporting and oversight of the materials quality control testing services in both the field and laboratory, and ensuring all work is in accordance with WSP’s and the Project’s, safety, quality, and environmental programs. Scope will include testing of earthworks, granulars, portland cement concrete, and hot mix asphalt.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- Supervision of field and laboratory staff;
- Primary client communication;
- Review and understanding of project specifications and testing standards ; DS-EN; ASTM; CSA;
- C onducting laboratory/field tests and inspections and reporting test results for soils, concrete, and asphalt;
- Review and submission of testing results;
- C ommunicating effectively within a laboratory/field team environment;
- C alibrating, maintaining, and repairing testing equipment; and
- A dhering to all Site Safety Absolutes and working safely in accordance with Wood and Site Health and Safety programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Your opportunities may include working on remote construction sites in northern climates with rotational schedule up to 28 days on and 14 days off, day or night shifts and continuous throughout weekends.
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or Diploma in Civil Engineering Technology;
- Must have at least 10 years of experience working as a Materials Technician;
- Proficient in computer skills and Microsoft suite;
- Knowledge of construction specifications, testing standards, materials testing delivery;
- Candidates must have a valid driver’s license, an acceptable driving record and must be able to pass regular Drug and Alcohol and Fitness screening, as required;
- C andidates must be proficient in English (verbal and written);
- Candidates must be able to meet t he fitness requirements for this position which include the following physical demands. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to stand, sit, or walk for long periods of time, and they must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The employee will be required to stoop, kneel, and crouch. Specific vision abilities include close vision and color vision;
- Ability to w o r k in a laboratory and construction site environment in various weather conditions;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Thorough attention to detail, with the ability to recognize discrepancies;
- Strong work ethic and leadership skills;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of the team;
- Demonstrated commitment to safety and quality;
- Able to make good decisions working in fast paced environment working in a laboratory and on a construction site in close proximity to equipment and people.
- Ability to achieve and maintain testing certification and required (CCIL or other)