SENIOR CHANGE MANAGEMENT CONSULTANT (Toronto, ON, CA, M5V 3C6)
City : Toronto
Category : Human Resources
Industry : Government
Employer : City of Toronto
- Job ID: 32000
- Job Category: Human Resources
- Division & Section: Pension, Payroll & Employee Benefits, PP&EB Transformation
- Work Location: METRO HALL, 55 John St, Toronto
- Job Type & Duration: Fulltime, Temporary Vacancy (24 months)
- Salary: $104,340.60 - $122,595.20
- Shift Information: Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week
- Affiliation: Non-Union
- Number of Positions Open: 1
- Posting Period: 23-Sep-2022 to 07-Oct-2022
The Pension, Payroll & Employee Benefits Division at the City of Toronto provides accurate, efficient and timely pension, payroll and benefit information and services to both current and former City employees.
The Business Transformation Team is tasked with leading the Division’s transformation mandate. Fundamentally, this mandate drives administrative efficiencies, operational excellence, and enhances the client experience for all current and retired staff. The Team is responsible for the oversight, project management, and implementation of multiple transformation projects. The Team’s approach includes effectively working with project partners and stakeholders using proven project methodologies which include executing a robust change management plan.
Reporting to the Project Director, PPEB Business Transformation the Senior Change Management Consultant will lead the evaluation, assessment, and design of change management plans in accordance with each transformation project needs. In addition, this role is also responsible to develop and execute on a plan to educate and raise awareness about change management principles and tactics to members of the Division. The Division intends to leverage change management learnings for greater optimization, and continuous improvement throughout PPEB’s transformation mandate.
We are looking for someone who has a passion for change management and can manage contributing their change management expertise to multiple, concurrent projects, while raising change management competencies across the Division. The ideal candidate has change management expertise that includes advanced understanding of theory and principles while being able to customize executable change management plans for project teams and partners or stakeholders. In practice, this role provides high-level, strategic consulting and advice, to assessing, analyzing and developing plans, to actively engaging in hands-on work of implementing, facilitating and training.
This role has three key functions:
- Lead, develop and execute on all change management-related requirements in a collaborative, partner-based method, for all PPEB Business Transformation projects.
- Develop and execute on a plan to educate and raise awareness about change management principles and tactics to members of the Division according to management’s priorities and self-initiating.
- Provide change management advice to the PPEB Senior Management Team on a variety of initiatives.
- Develops and implements detailed change management plans and recommends policies regarding program specific requirements.
- Contributes to assigned projects, ensuring effective teamwork and communication, high standards of work quality.
- Conducts research into assigned area ensuring that such research takes into account developments within the field, corporate policies and practices, legislation and initiatives by other levels of government.
- Contributes to the control and monitoring of project expenditures.
- Understands and applies change methodologies and principles, types and stages of change management and develops approach to suit complexity and other factors to assignments and projects.
- Develops, maintains, implements and communicates change management framework, language, policies, procedures, tools and resources to support development of consistent, common change management practices across all shared service organizations.
- Researches, defines, recommends and prioritizes new opportunities, continuous improvement, emerging technologies, tools, resources, methodologies and strategies to maintain and improve change management practices.
- Provides strategic advice, guidance, direction, leadership and solutions to senior management, project teams and individuals for various transformation projects at varying degrees of size and complexity across all shared service organizations/divisions/units to ensure successful implementation and benefit realization.
- Acts as subject matter expert and advises on change management practices and effective implementation and application of change management framework, strategies, tools and resources across all shared service organizations/divisions/units.
- Engages senior leaders to promote alignment and ensure appropriate sponsorship of change management plans to achieve successful and sustainable outcomes.
- Develops and implements change management strategies and plans for transformation projects that maximize leadership alignment and stakeholder/employee engagement, minimize employee and stakeholder resistance and are informed by internal/external drivers and corporate knowledge (e.g. Communication, learning, coaching, stakeholder etc.).
- Anticipates long term impacts of all decisions from a change management perspective and takes a broad approach to problem solving.
- Identifies and recommends changes to policies/procedures that create barriers to successful change implementation or change capacity.
- Assesses, evaluates and anticipates organization and stakeholder readiness, ability and capacity to undergo change, makes recommendations to senior management and develops plans for the enhancement of change capacity and capability.
- Assesses organizational readiness and builds or contributes to change and communication plans to address areas of focus.
- Assesses risks (internal and external) and potential impacts associated with change initiatives and recommends and implements actions to minimize adverse effects.
- Identifies resistance to change and performance gaps, and works with leaders to develop and implement corrective actions.
- Identifies the impact of culture on change initiatives, designs approach and plans with awareness of these impacts and identifies aspects of culture requiring change in order to achieve project outcomes.
- Develops and maintains methodologies, tools and training to support change capacity and competency.
- Leads the design, development, delivery, coordination and evaluation of training programs related to change management.
- Develops change curriculum and training programs to meet diverse needs of different stakeholders and audiences.
- Collaborates with training staff to promote and embed change management approaches in the development of training materials and delivery of training.
- Provides support and information on new best practices, innovations, tools and resources to a change management community of practice.
- Facilitates and/or collaborates on leadership development in change management for management level staff, including project sponsors and project leads.
- Promotes organizational learning and takes steps to integrate and embed change management in corporate and divisional initiatives.
- Negotiates horizontal consensus and resolves conflict related to change management approaches with senior leaders, project leads and varied stakeholders.
- Develops and executes change management plans within transformation projects. Leads stakeholder management, including conducting and documenting stakeholder change impact assessments and outlining actions to support new behaviors as required.
- Designs and conducts "lessons learned" and other evaluation strategies related to change management plans and recommends changes to build on learnings.
- Ensures organization partners, stakeholders and clients are aware of, and understand the rationale for change.
- Develops comprehensive communication plans for change management initiatives in partnership with organizational Communication leads.
- Presents change management plans and strategies to key partners and stakeholders.
- Develops materials for socializing change with senior management and sponsors, including briefing materials, reports, and presentations.
- Contributes to the acquisition of professional services including but not limited to Request for Proposals (RFP) and Request for Quotations (RFQ); valuations of bids, recommend of vendor, contract monitoring, and communication with vendor, renewals, and problem solving with staff.
- Establishes and maintains strategic links and partnerships with organizational change management leads in other public sector environments and participates in networks of benefit to the Centre of Excellence and stakeholders.
- Provides support and facilitation of a Shared Service Community of Practice for Change Management.
- Extensive change management experience, preferably in public sector and unionized environments.
- Extensive experience in effective communication strategies to maximize engagement and to minimize stakeholders/employee change resistance.
- Extensive experience working with senior leaders in an advisory and coaching capacity, particularly in addressing their role in effective change leadership.
- Extensive experience developing and executing change management activities including communications and training plans.
- Experience working at a strategic level, liaising with stakeholders to identify potential change impacts and ensure change plans are in place.
- Experience communicating the change story effectively with multiple stakeholders at different levels within, and external to, an organization.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including negotiation, influencing, presentation and facilitation skills.
- Ability to establish, build and nurture strong business relationships.
- Ability to support the Toronto Public Service values to ensure a culture that champions equity, diversity, and respectful workplaces.
- Experience supporting Payroll, pension and Employee Benefits Transformations and Modernization programs or projects will be an asset.
- Experience in a Shared Service environment will be an asset.
Note: All City of Toronto employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the City's Mandatory Vaccination Policy. Candidates will be required to show proof of vaccination during the recruitment process.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.