Senior Business Expert
City : Ottawa
Category : Temporary Assignment or Contract
Industry : Education
Employer : University of Ottawa
The University of Ottawa—A crossroads of cultures and ideas
The University of Ottawa is home to a dynamic community of over 50,000 students, faculty and staff, who live, work and study in both French and English. Our campus is a crossroad of cultures and ideas, where bold minds come together to inspire game-changing ideas. We believe in the power of representation, and that increasing the diversity of our faculty and staff supports this objective. Our goal is to provide students with the best possible learning experience, in an environment that reflects the diversity of its people, their ideas, and their identities.
We are one of Canada’s top 10 research universities—our professors and researchers explore new approaches to today’s challenges. One of a handful of Canadian universities ranked among the top 200 in the world, we attract exceptional thinkers and welcome diverse perspectives from across the globe. Our employees come together around the shared purpose of constant improvement, personal development, service excellence, teamwork and a passion for learning with a desire to make uOttawa and the world a better place. Everyone's contributions are valued, we all play a part in making uOttawa a world-class institution. Most importantly, we make it possible for you to achieve your full potential. Because at uOttawa, you belong!
Reporting to the Manager, Admissions Officer, provides leadership, guidance, execution, and support in the implementation of application solutions, including but not limited to uoCampus and other applications related to Admissions. Supervises a team and coordinates its activities to ensure the unit’s operations are performing according to its mandated service standards.
In this role, your responsibilities will include:
- Supervises the work of and provides administrative and technical direction to a team of business and technical experts. Recruits, selects, trains, and evaluates employees on their performance and on the quality of services provided to clients. Resolves conflicts among staff and clients. Coordinates working and holiday schedules in order ensure the continuity of operational services.
- Operational Management: Coordinates the activities of a team to ensure the delivery of essential academic support services, and acts as a point of escalation to resolve complex support requests from clients across the university. Oversees operational processes and prioritizes services requests to provide quality clients services. Monitors quality and integrity of data to ensure operational processes and services are functioning normally.
- Business Analysis: Proactively contributes to the evaluation of clients’ business and operational requirements, both explicit and implicit. Investigates improvements to procedures and the development and implementation of new solutions as deemed necessary. Writes business cases, communicates, and validates with IT teams, managers and other stakeholders in order to maximize the fit and effectiveness of proposed solutions while minimizing the impact of obstacles.
- Process Analysis and Design: Leads process re-design initiatives to ensure optimization and standardization of configurations across information systems. Assesses impact on current business structures, rules, academic regulations and policies, and evaluates business and operational requirements in order to recommend process enhancements and the optimal use of available tools to provide business value.
What you will bring:
- University Degree in Commerce, Administration, Computer Science, Information Technology, Management Information Systems (MIS), a related field, or/and an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 5 years of experience supporting business units and their IT needs.
- Experience in human resources management and supervision of a team.
- Experience in Project management
- Thorough knowledge and experience of business processes, rules and management systems used by the University, including academic regulations and processes.
- Knowledge of the University’s and/or clients’ business operations and priorities, and ability to provide appropriate advice and support regarding academic regulations and processes.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel or other data management tools to manipulate, convert, clean, and present complex data.
- Knowledge of computing principles and computer applications development methodologies.
- Experience conducting client needs assessments and prioritizing business requirements.
- Experience writing and maintaining business and technical documentation.
- Experience coordinating operational services for clients with diverse needs.
- Ability to negotiate and influence clients in accepting solutions that align both the strategic goals of the University and short- and long-term client requirements.
- Strong analytical skills to convert business requirements into functional specifications, as well as the ability to conceptualize individual requirements and create links between different stakeholders’ needs.
- Ability to adapt to ever-changing requirements and processes, challenge ideas, and accept new methods and procedures.
- This position can be called upon working with different teams and projects within the department.
- This position may require the incumbent to work outside of regular office hours and on weekends.
- Bilingualism – French and English (spoken and written).
Key Competencies at uOttawa:
Here are the required competencies for all or our employees at uOttawa:
Planning: Organize in time a series of actions or events in order to realise an objective or a project. Plan and organize own work and priorities in regular daily activities.
Initiative: Demonstrate creativity and initiative to suggest improvements and encourage positive results. Is proactive and self-starting. Show availability and willingness to go above and beyond whenever it is possible.
Client Service Orientation: Help or serve others to meet their needs. This implies anticipating and identifying the needs of internal and external clients and finding solutions on how to meet them.
Teamwork and Cooperation: Cooperate and work well with other members of the team to reach common goal(s). Accept and give constructive feedback. Able to adjust own behaviour to reach the goals of the team.