Senior Associate, Public Equities, Derivatives and Collateral Management
City : Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Category : Full time
Industry : Public Services/Utilities
Employer : Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP)
Why you’ll love working here:
high-performance, people-focused culture
our commitment that equity, diversity and inclusion are fundamental to our work environment and business success, which helps employees feel valued and empowered to be their authentic selves
learning and development initiatives, including workshops, Speaker Series events and access to LinkedIn Learning, that support employees’ career growth
competitive, 100% company-paid extended health and dental benefits for permanent employees with recent additions to promote inclusive coverage to a diverse employee population. These recent additions include gender affirmation and fertility drug and treatment coverage
membership in HOOPP’s world class defined benefit pension plan, which can serve as an important part of your retirement security
access to an annual wellness reimbursement program for health and wellness-related expenses for permanent employees
virtual fitness, yoga and meditation classes, nutritional consultations and wellness seminars
we offer a hybrid flexible work model that embraces remote work in Ontario for eligible roles
the opportunity to make a difference and help take care of those who care for us, by providing a financially secure retirement for Ontario healthcare workers
Senior Associate, Public Equities, Derivatives & Collateral Management
This role will support two teams in Investment Management, Derivatives and Collateral Management, and Public Equities.
Derivatives and Collateral Management.
The Derivatives and Collateral Management team has cross-asset class responsibilities, including managing the fund’s balance sheet, liquidity, and securities lending transactions. The team acts as an internal Prime Broker while running several value-add strategies that span across multiple asset classes.
The Public Equities team has two major roles: providing independent, robust research on Public Equity markets and taking portfolio risks to generate returns for the fund. The portfolio strategies are evolving to reflect both the rapidly changing nature of capital markets and the risk and return needs of the fund.
The successful candidate will act as a backup to the Equity Trading group supporting cash equity trading for the Public Equities team while helping to manage the balance sheet, liquidity, and securities lending transactions for the Derivatives & Collateral Management team. Both teams will be involved in evaluating (daily) performance.
What you will do:
- Assist in management of arbitrage strategies: merger, convertible
- Assist in management of collateral and stock lending businesses
- Able to execute cash equity and program trades
- Communicate and resolve issues with counterparties, and partner regularly with the Treasury team.
- Supports all aspects of equity and fixed income funding
- Assists with securities lending transactions such as covering recalls, shorts, and corporate actions across the portfolio
- Work closely with the operations groups to ensure efficient settlement
- Trade idea generation in leveraging efficient utilization of the portfolio
- Partner with the technology team to automate workflows within securities lending, collateral management, and public equities
What you bring:
- Completion of a University degree in commerce or finance, or if your degree is in a different field an explanation of how your academic background is relevant to this job
- Team player with a positive can-do attitude who is positive and energetic
- Well-developed qualitative and quantitative analytical skills
- Must be self-motivated and able to learn quickly and work independently within the team
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and completeness is very important along with the ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently and meet tight deadlines
- Clear, precise communication
- Passion for technology, innovation, and an entrepreneurial spirit in building solutions in collaboration with Information Technology groups.
- Minimum 3 to 5 years experience in institutional high touch and low touch equity execution.
- Completion of the CFA designation
- Relevant analytical employment experience
- Relevant coding skills
- Demonstrated qualitative and quantitative analytical skills, including financial modeling
- Superior organizational skills with an ability to filter information.
- A steady, calm, and enthusiastic personality