Senior Analyst – Market Assessment Unit
City : See posting
Category : Other
Industry : Public Services/Utilities
Employer : Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO)
INDEPENDENT ELECTRICITY SYSTEM OPERATOR
|Job Title:||Senior Analyst - Market Assessment Unit|
|Temporary Assignment:||up to 24 months|
Ontario’s wholesale electricity sector is a cornerstone piece of the Ontario economy. Since the sector was deregulated in 2002, hundreds of companies have become engaged in generating, selling and buying electricity at the wholesale level, and operating to support the reliability of the electricity grid. Governing their conduct is a set of Market Rules, aimed at ensuring reliability and efficiency for the benefit of Ontario electricity consumers.
The Independent Electricity System Operator of Ontario (“IESO”) has responsibility for enforcement of the Market Rules as part of its broad mandate to establish and govern markets in this space. The enforcement responsibility has been delegated to the IESO’s Market Assessment and Compliance Division (“MACD”). MACD also works with a panel of the Ontario Energy Board, the Market Surveillance Panel, (“the MSP”), in respect of its mandate to assess the efficiency and competition of the market. The MSP is an independent panel made up of experienced legal, market and economic experts.
MACD is seeking a Senior Analyst to join its team of analysts and economists in the area of market assessment and surveillance. This team works directly with the MSP, in support of their mandate. The team is also a member of a global body of market monitors in other deregulated electricity markets. This is a tremendous opportunity to join a team in a quickly growing international area of economics.
Provide analytical focused direction and support to monitor, evaluate, and analyze the performance of the market and the conduct of its participants to identify the circumstances for further analysis or investigation. Undertake investigations as per the Electricity Act, 1998 to identify inappropriate or anomalous conduct by Market Participants, design and structural flaws and inefficiencies in the market. This includes the collection of data, communicating and/or meeting with the Participant(s). Prepare routine and ad hoc reports detailing the results of the work, and make recommendations for remedial or subsequent actions.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Undertake complex evaluation and analysis and report on the performance of the IESO Administered Market and the conduct of participants within that market.
- Develop and maintain appropriate indices to support the monitoring of the market and the conduct of participants.
- Develop recommendations with respect to the design and structure of the market as well as potential new products and services, as required.
- Undertake and report on investigations in accordance with legislation, regulations and policies and procedures of the IESO.
- Provide expert advice as necessary to the Market Surveillance Panel.
- Notify Participant(s) of the results of investigations, and inform others of any decision, as per the procedures.
- Contribute to the maintenance of all databases and apply statistical and programing knowledge to develop queries and data visualizations
- Implement procedures to safeguard the confidentiality of data from or about Market Participants.
- Undertake the development and delivery of internal and external training packages, as required.
- Respond to Client Support inquiries by providing written procedural instructions, technical advice, guidance, and/or training, as appropriate.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the team to effectively implement the goals of the team within the context of the broader corporate direction.
- Perform other duties as may be required.
Who You Are
- Requires academic training in economics or engineering, to understand and provide quantitative and qualitative analysis of the structure and performance of the competitive electricity marketplace.
- Requires excellent written and oral communication skills, in order to present technical or complicated concepts and information in a manner that is understandable to a broad audience. An established record of publishing articles in academic or field journals or drafting technical reports for advisory panels or regulatory bodies is an asset.
- Experience with analyzing large data sets, using complex statistical and/or econometric modeling techniques.
- This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired in successful completion of at least 4 years University education in an appropriate field.
- Requires experience in methods of discovery and/or investigation and/or audit, which involves application of analytical, reasoning and negotiating skills. Experience with advanced analytical techniques such as game theory, theories of strategic behaviour and econometric/statistical analysis is an asset.
- Experience conducting market power analysis and studies in non-regulated industries, particularly in non-regulated energy markets in analyzing strategic behaviour.
- Experience in electrical transmission, power system modeling and/or costing and pricing in a non-regulated environment, and /or assessing a market for inefficiencies, design and structural flaws and /or behaviors of Market Participants.
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary environment, particularly an environment requiring staffing in the fields of law, engineering, economics and public policy.
- Requires knowledge of the legislative parameters governing the Ontario electricity marketplace.
- Requires significant knowledge and understanding of the design of the IESO administered markets.
- Requires operations/planning experience in electrical industry, power system operations/planning, finance, regulatory and/or enforcement activities or audit.
- Experience working independently and/or leading major projects.
- A period of over 8 years up to and including 10 years is considered necessary to gain this experience.
What’s in it for you
- A comprehensive total rewards program, including best-in-class benefits and a flexible workplace
- A challenging, fast-paced and collaborative team environment, where your perspectives and experiences matter
- Leaders who support your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching
- The opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the industry
For future reference, please ensure to save a copy of the job description as it will no longer be available once the posting closes.
At the IESO, we know that achieving great results depends on embracing diversity by attracting, developing and retaining people from a wide variety of backgrounds. We do this by ensuring our recruitment and advancement policies are fair and equitable, and by creating an accessible and inclusive environment – one that values every team member’s unique skills and experiences and ensures they have the support they need to achieve their potential. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know.
We thank you for your interest in a career at the IESO, but we will only contact those candidates selected for an interview.
Note: The successful candidate must be eligible to work in Canada and will be subject to a background check.
The IESO commenced its Hybrid Work Model Pilot Program. The Model allows for remote working up to three days per week, based on business needs. When working in the office, you will be located at Toronto or our Mississauga location.
Join our talent community
Sign up for talent community; stay in touch, find out about new opportunities – and discover how you can make a difference. Discover how we use our expertise and commitment to deliver reliable and affordable electricity to Ontario’s businesses and communities, and how we’re innovating to secure a stronger energy future for all Ontarians. Visit Careers at IESO and be sure to follow us on LinkedIn.
Find out why we were selected as Greater Toronto’s Top 2022 Employers, and what we offer.