City : Sudbury, ON, CAN
Category : See posting
Industry : Mining and Quarrying
Employer : Vale
Welcome to Vale. Our purpose is to improve life and transform the future. Together. We value our workforce and strive to offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale Base Metals is one of the world's largest producers of high-quality nickel and an important producer of copper and responsibly sourced cobalt. With headquarters in Toronto, Canada, and operations in Newfoundland & Labrador, Ontario, Manitoba, UK, Indonesia, and Brazil, we are delivering the critical building blocks for a cleaner, greener future.
Applying the latest technologies to sustainably mine the critical minerals that power electric vehicles, build renewable energy solutions, and help develop life-saving medical equipment is at the heart of what we do.
We invite you to be part of our evolution.
Vale’s Environmental Team provides support to all of the jurisdictions within Canadian Operations. Located in Sudbury, this role will primarily be part of the team that supports 5 mines, a Mill, Smelter, and Nickel Refinery to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements as well as our ISO 14001 environmental management system commitments.
We are currently seeking a Fixed Term, Sr Analyst, Environment, Local 2020-05 to join our team in Sudbury. This is a 12 month opportunity.
The primary function of the role as an environmental analyst is to provide technical support for matters related to the natural environment. This includes but is not limited to a variety of environmental disciplines including water and wastewater sampling and analysis, waste management, air quality sampling, permitting, and environmental risk mitigation.
Although previous experience in mining or an industrial setting is considered an asset, we also appreciate that diversity of thought comes from our differences – and that’s what makes us great!
In this position you will:
- Ensure the program integrity, compliance to standards and regulations with respect to the natural environment and associated environmental monitoring programs.
- Execute on environmental permitting requirements including collecting relevant information for the permit, data analysis, permit applications and auditing permit terms and conditions for compliance
- Support the execution of environmental programs, which could include waste management, water quality management, drinking water quality management system, biodiversity including species at risk, and ambient air quality,
- Perform a variety of regulatory environmental sampling including water and wastewater, ambient air monitoring, waste analysis, soil sampling. Conduct field audits to verify that critical controls for environmental risks are in place and are effective.
- Support project work through identifying and coordinating field studies, reviewing technical reports, participating in project meetings, and coordinating permitting requirements.
- Coordinate environmental service contracts related to all environmental disciplines. Provide support to the line organization to fulfill regulatory and company requirements for ongoing environmental issues.
- Support the execution of the ISO 14001 Environment Management System
- Hours of Work: Monday to Friday (8 hours/day, 40 hours per week)
Education: The successful candidate will be a University or College graduate in Environmental Sciences or equivalent.
Computer Skills: Conducting electronic inventories (waste, hazardous materials, emissions, workplace monitoring), conducting computer-based modeling, conduct risk assessments, administer environmental monitoring programs, managing large integrated spreadsheets and databases (e.g. GRI reporting, NPRI).
Experience: The ideal candidate will possess five years’ experience, up to five years of progressive experience in natural environmental disciplines. Experience should include knowledge of environmental regulations and standards, knowledge and experience with environmental sampling techniques, and familiarity with data collection, analyses, reporting and presentations.
Mathematics Skills: Able to perform moderately complex mathematical calculations including simple statistics, logarithms and exponents.
Presentation Skills: Able to present moderately complex information to a wide variety of audiences.
Reading skills: Reading, understanding and interpretation of text and concepts from a variety of sources, i.e. legal, contractual, technical theory or government regulations.
Computer Skills: Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, Power Point, etc.
What We Offer You
- Competitive salary
- Attractive pension and benefits (company paid core coverage, flex health and dental coverage, flex accounts, disability plans and optional insurances)
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation, flex, sick, parental)
- Flexible work arrangements
- Work culture dedicated to safety, diversity & inclusion, and career growth.
- Grow your career in a large and global company, and mining industry leader.
- Employee Family Assistance Program
- Online training and career development opportunities
Include to Transform
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are critical to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, accommodation is available throughout our recruitment process for applicants with disabilities.
Apply By: February 23, 2024