Senior Advisor, Health Safety & Environment
City : Kincardine
Category : Permanent Full Time
Industry : Utilities
Employer : EPCOR
Highlights of the job
We are hiring one (1) Full Time, Permanent Senior Advisor, and Health & Safety position working out of Ontario.
The Senior Advisor, Health & Safety is accountable for collaboratively liaising with its internal and external customers to support Commercial Services –ENGLP (EPCOR Natural Gas Limited Partnership) Aylmer and South Bruce and EEDO (EPCOR Electricity Distribution Operations), Collingwood in managing operational risk and achieving its strategic H&S goals. In addition, supporting the operational areas to ensure contractors are conforming to EPCOR standards.
This position may be eligible for EPCOR’s hybrid Where We Work program!
What you’d be responsible for
- Ensuring the delivery of optimal results against appropriate performance metrics.
- Delivering services and objectives in a client-centric and timely manner.
- Working with all levels of management and employees to facilitate the implementation and administration of the Health and Safety Management System and to attain compliance with applicable legislation, policies and procedures.
- Providing Health and Safety consultation and assist in work observations, workplace inspections, risk assessments, hazard analysis, job planning and incident investigation.
- Conducting workplace observations, workplace inspections and audits as required.
- Participating in the development of health and safety performance measures, interpret results and coach/influence staff on how to improve performance.
- Providing interpretation and application of health and safety rules, natural gas and electricity regulations and legislation to management, staff and Health and Safety Committees.
- Examples of legislation which knowledge is required:
- Natural Gas: CSA Z662- 2023 (Oil and gas pipeline systems) and CSA B149.1:20 (Natural gas and propane installation code)
- OHS: OHS Act, Regulations 851 for Industrial Establishment, 213/91 Construction Projects, CSA Z247-12 (R2020) Damage prevention for the protection of underground infrastructure etc.
- Ability to liaise and communicate effectively with TSSA, MOL, MTO and other regulatory bodies.
- Providing support in the delivery of the pipeline integrity management plan ensuring all natural gas regulations and legislation are adhered to.
- Providing support to process safety investigations, procedure development, and training as it relates to safe work procedures
- As required, act as a subject matter advisor in the creation and review of new H&S training courses and protocols/procedures.
- Networking with industry peers to ascertain potential best practice for adoption into EPCOR practice and procedures.
- Supporting the H&S team in the development and maintenance of the H&S Management System and our customer’s needs.
- Supporting of and for the Corporate Health, Safety, Environment and Technical Training area.
What’s required to be successful
- Post-secondary education completed (Health and Safety certificate, diploma or degree).
- Minimum 3-5 years of Health & Safety experience.
- Equivalencies may be considered such as trades or field experience.
- Relevant accreditation (e.g. CRSP, CRST, CSP) is preferred.
- Note: Candidates holding a designation must maintain it in good standing.
- Strong understanding of Health and Safety regulatory requirements.
- A valid Class G driver’s license, as travel between sites is a requirement of this position.
- Experience conducting incident investigations, root cause analysis, audits, and creating/delivering meeting and/or training materials.
- Knowledge/experience with project management, risk analysis and the development of mitigation strategies.
- Knowledge/experience with auditing tools including the Certification of Recognition (IHSA Ontario) and ISO 45001.
- Extensive knowledge of occupational health, safety and management systems.
- Understanding and application of health and safety performance metrics and analytics.
- Microsoft office experience with Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and employee relations skills
- Ability to develop, coordinate and manage multiple requests, projects and job demands with a wide variety of key stakeholders.
- Able to understand and anticipate specific business drivers and influence, facilitate and participate in the development and implementation of health and safety plans, goals and objectives.
- Able to develop H&S performance measures, interpret results and coach/influence staff on how to improve performance.
Other important facts about this job
Hours of Work: 40 hours weekly
Current EPCOR Employees please ensure that you are using your “@epcor.com” email address.
Learn more about Working at EPCOR!
Please note the following information:
- A requirement of working for EPCOR is that you are at least 18 years of age, successfully attained a high school diploma (GED, or equivalent level of secondary education) and legally entitled to work in Canada. (A copy of a valid work permit may be required.)
- If you are considered for the position, clearance on all applicable background checks (which may include criminal, identity, educational, and/or credit) and professional reference checks is required. Some EPCOR positions require an enhanced level of background assessment, which is dictated by law. These positions require advanced criminal record checks that must also be conducted from time to time after commencement of employment.
- A technical/practical assessment may be administered during the selection process and this exercise will be used as a part of the selection criterion.
- To meet the physical demands required of some positions, candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions. Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing may be required.