Senior Accountant, Reporting
City : Toronto, ON, CA, M5H1H1
Category : Customer Service Representative
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 184970
Tangerine is Canada’s leading direct bank. We offer flexible and accessible banking options, innovative products, and award-winning Client service. The reason why Tangerine employees come to work each day is to help Canadians live better lives. We focus on making a difference in our communities, and that includes our own internal community. It’s important to us that our employees feel empowered and enthusiastic about belonging to our Orange culture.
- The Senior Accountant, Reporting will be working in a hybrid office environment.
- Position reports to Sr. Manager, Regulatory Reporting.
- Reports into: Tangerine Head Office (North York) and Scotia Bank Head Office (Downtown, Toronto)
This position is primarily responsible for preparing monthly/quarterly/semi-annual and annual regulatory returns to be filed with the Bank’s regulators. The incumbent will also actively assist in special projects (including automation) and in preparing year-end financial statements and ad hoc reports as required.
Is this role right for you? In this role, you will:
- Stay abreast of developments in accounting standards.
- Understand the purpose and the reporting requirement of each report that is filed with Head office, OSFI, CDIC,CMHC, MFDA, BOC and Statistics Canada (collectively "regulator")
- For each report that has to be filed with a regulator, assist in gathering the required information
- Perform analytical reviews on the gathered information to ensure its accuracy and reasonability
- Reconcile the information gathered from different sources to each other to ensure accuracy and reasonability of the information
- Keep track of changing regulatory requirements impacting team’s deliverables, identify and implement changes to applicable reporting forms on an ongoing basis and ensure compliance.
- Ensures timely and accurate filing of returns in compliance of regulatory guidelines. Should be familiar with preparation of M4, A4, Form 1 (Monthly and Annual), CMHC Loans outstanding, C1, C3, S4, E3, N3, H4, LRR and E2.
- Develop and execute quality control review on return deliverables to ensure methodology and thresholds are consistently applied.
- Identify opportunities to improve processes and drive efficiencies, as well as enhancing internal controls.
- Coordinate with other stakeholders to ensure new products offerings by the bank are within the regulatory framework, accurate data / information is available and captured correctly in regulatory reporting forms.
- Document and maintain reporting procedures on a timely basis.
- Participate in SOX initiatives for the Regulatory Reporting area.
- Actively participate in the Bank wide RRTOM project to meet objectives/plans within given deadlines.
- Closely work with stakeholders for Automation of regulatory returns, perform UAT and parallel runs, ascertain variances for remediation and assist in GO Live within tight timelines.
Do you have the skills that will enable you to succeed in this role? - We'd love to work with you if you have:
- University or College Degree
- Minimum 5-6 years of post-qualification work experience in a banking environment preparing Regulatory returns in a Canadian setting
- Exposure to products such as Personal Loans, Mortgages, Credit cards as well as Deposit products
- An Accounting designation is a must (preferably CA, CPA)
- Extensive knowledge of IFRS
- Above “intermediate level” skills in Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft and Oracle business Intelligence (OBI)
- Exceptionally strong analytical skills with big picture business perspective
- Ability to work collaboratively in a high performing team of professional
- Ability to synthesize large amounts of data and identify trends/patterns and deviations from trends/patterns
- Able to make well-reasoned and thought out/logical decisions
- Able to work independently and exercise good professional judgment
- Proven track record of multitasking and working under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Clear oral and written communicate skills a must
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Very detailed oriented nature
What’s in it for you?
- An inclusive & collaborative working environment that encourages creativity, curiosity, and celebrates success!
- We offer a competitive rewards package: Performance bonus, Employee Share Ownership Program, and Pension Plan Matching, Health Benefits from day one!
- Your career matters! You will have access to career development and progression opportunities.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : North York || Canada : Ontario : Toronto
At Tangerine we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the team, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know.