SE&I GCN Intern (Summer 2024)
City : Canada- Montreal- 2351 Alfred Nobel
Category : Interns, Students & Temporary
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
- We’re a company rooted in people—seeking to create a vibrant and inclusive environment where everyone feels they belong.
- Accelerate your career path by gaining hands-on experience and exposure to the latest technology. Our interns and graduates work on real projects in real time in world-class labs. Be a part of tomorrow’s future – today.
- Mentoring. Networking. Leadership Opportunities. We recognize that learning doesn’t stop when you leave school - we champion a team environment for development and provide the tools to achieve success.
- We are big proponents of life-work integration. Our people make a big difference at Ciena, but we also want to highlight their differences outside of working hours. CienaCares supports non-profit causes important to employees by matching employee financial contributions and dedicating time to volunteering.
4-month work term: May to August 2024
How You Will Contribute:
Support the SE&I GCN team for day-to-day activities such as lab preparation, testing, software tool enhancement and database development needs. The team is focused on driving critical customer engagements, including demonstrations, market trials, product certification, NBI integration and solution evaluation of Ciena products. The SE&I GCN works with multi-functional teams within Ciena and Translates customers' requirements into workable solutions.
The student will learn how data networks are built, tested, and managed to transport Tb of data between data centers across the globe. The student will work with a team of seasoned professionals to introduce new products into the customer’s network, which includes:
- Develop test plans and test new products in Ciena Labs
- Develop documents required for new product introduction.
- Help customers during lab certification and field trials.
- Help customer update their back-office network management tools to manage new products.
What Does Ciena Expect of You?
- A sense of urgency – what’s essential to the customer is equally important to you. You make getting things done a priority.
- Integrity – you hold yourself to the highest level of personal and professional standards of conduct.
- A commitment to innovation – you continually seek to learn and understand new technologies and ever-changing market conditions and endeavour to apply that knowledge to Ciena’s advantage.
- You embrace change – thriving in a diverse environment of ever-changing priorities and sometimes stressful situations.
- The flexibility to work independently with minimal supervision and as part of a broader team.
The Must Haves:
- Currently enrolled in Bachelor of Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent engineering program
- A good understanding of telecommunications network terminology and technology such as Optical communication, Ethernet, and OTN is an asset.
- Understanding of GRPC, NETCONF and REST framework
- Working knowledge of Unix/LINUX
- Excellent understanding and working with MS Office 365 (Excel, Visio, PowerPoint, frame maker) and Adobe.
- Excellent with developing and documenting technical specs and presentations
- Good research and logical thinking skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Well organized, methodological, and quick learner
- A good understanding of telecommunications network terminology asuch as DWDM, Ethernet, and OTN is an asset.
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
Ciena is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability and protected veteran status.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.