ScotiaMcLeod Assistant Branch Manager – Calgary, AB
City : Calgary, AB, CA, T2P1N2
Category : Financial Managers, Branch or Department
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 150517
As a cornerstone business within Scotia Wealth Management®, ScotiaMcLeod has earned a reputation for integrity based on service excellence and trusted investment advice. Our advisors and teams pride themselves on exploring innovative approaches to protecting and growing their clients' assets.
When you join ScotiaMcLeod, you’ll be empowered to deliver Enriched Thinking®, a unique approach that incorporates your client’s thinking, as well as our thinking, to drive results. You’ll work with a team of specialists to deliver a client-centric approach to wealth management, enabling you to consider all the facets of your client’s life, family and business. With a focus on total wealth planning, and wealth specialists to help you deliver on this unique value proposition, you’ll be enabling clients to see not just the big picture, but all the little ones too.
Leads and oversees Wealth Management in Toronto ensuring business strategies, plans and initiatives are executed / delivered in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.
1. Leads and drives a customer focused culture throughout their team to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
- In collaboration with the business and Retail Compliance, develop policies, procedures and systems in support of regulatory compliance by:
- Being the reference source for the business regarding ever changing regulatory and retail compliance matters, participating in the interpretation of new and existing regulations with Retail Compliance
- Evaluating and reviewing compliance and regulatory changes and potential impact
- Developing and implementing the appropriate policy and procedural changes as required by new compliance requirements and/or industry practice
- Identifying gaps in the existing compliance process and participating in the development, maintenance and implementation of changes to the firm’s compliance policies and procedures
2. Ensure compliance with corporate policies and industry regulatory bodies by;
- Performing Tier 1 Supervision of Investment Advisors
- Coordinating and monitoring licensing, compliance, administration and new advisor registration
- Reviewing daily and monthly trade blotters
- Approving KYC updates and new accounts
- Ensuring compliance policies and procedures are followed and put into practice
- Reviewing and following up on all head office corporate audits to ensure compliance and attention to deficiencies
3. Act as the key point of contact in the business for reporting, investigating and resolution of compliance issues and violations by:
- Developing and providing regular reporting to key stakeholders and Retail Compliance
- Acting as the liaison for the business as it may pertain to internal and / or external audits
- Identifying patterns and ongoing concerns to be addressed through training and/or disciplinary measures
- Reporting the discovery of irregular activity, the receipt of complaints alleging serious misconduct, the commencement of legal action and all material dealings with any Regulator to Retail Compliance and the , Branch Manager, Director, National Branch Management
- Working in partnership with the business line and Retail Compliance to ensure that issues are
4. Manage the special and restricted accounts and oversee day to day execution of National Branch strategy;
- Resolving and responding to problems that arise on a daily basis in a timely manner
- Monitor and supervise reductions of special status and restricted account lists
- Lead National Branch team to deliver on business targets by:
- Work with Branch Manager, Director, National Branch, to establish both sales and non-sales targets and coaching the team to either meet or exceed those targets
- Identifying and acting on opportunities to improve branch process to increase productivity, improve client experience, reduce cost and mitigate risk
- Ensuring that the process and policy manual is updated or incorporates improvements as necessary
- Work with Branch Manager, Director, National Branch in the development of National Branch sales strategies and related special projects
5. Provide strong team leadership to motivate and develop individual and team performance
- Understand how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
- Creates an environment in which his/her team pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas in accordance with Scotiabank’s Values, its Code of Conduct and the Global Sales Principles, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational, compliance, AML/ATF/sanctions and conduct risk.
- Builds a high performance environment and implements a people strategy that attracts, retains, develops and motivates their team by fostering an inclusive work environment and using a coaching mindset and behaviours; communicating vison/values/business strategy; and, managing succession and development planning for the team.
- 5+ years of experience in a securities environment
- Thorough, current knowledge of Industry Regulations and best practices guidelines
- Thorough understanding of the firms’ compliance policies and procedures
- Intimate knowledge of the retail securities and compliance business
- Strong contacts within the industry so as to be aware of industry issues and practices
- Highly motivated self-starter, strong initiative, results-oriented
- Strong relationship building skills
- Team player and leadership competencies
- Strong planning, time management, organization and people management skills
- Ability to recognize and manage sensitive and confidential information
- Fluency in French is an asset
Education / Experience / Other Information (include only those that are specific to the role)
- University Degree
- Completion of the following Canadian Securities Institute (CSI) courses:
- Canadian Securities course (CSC)
- Conduct and Practices Handbook (CPH)
- Branch Managers Course
- Derivatives Fundamentals Course
- Options Licensing Course, Options Supervisors Course
Work in a standard office-based environment; non-standard hours are a common occurrence.
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.