Rock Mechanics Engineer
City : ST. JOHN'S
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Rock Mechanics Engineer - ( 220002T6 )
Build the foundation for a lasting and successful career in rock engineering by starting with a great team in our geotechnical engineering practice. Stantec is a global design and engineering leader with a lived focus on people, value, team spirit, and excellence. We are designers, engineers, scientists, and project managers, innovating together at the intersection of community, creativity, and client relationships. Balancing these priorities results in projects that advance the quality of life in communities across the globe.
When we say that we are full-service, we mean it. You will find us in the office, on site and in the lab. We work indoors and out, above and below ground, over and under water, across projects large and small. From field exploration and laboratory testing to analysis and design and construction management of complex geotechnical projects, our team does the work. Join our Stantec Family today!
Stantec is seeking an intermediate/senior engineer specialized in Rock Engineering to join our team in Eastern Canada.
This position offers the opportunity to work on rock engineering and geotechnical projects as part of multi-discipline project teams in Canada and abroad. You will be responsible for developing cost effective, state-of-the-art engineering designs and construction solutions for our clients. We are looking for a team player with strong technical, communication and organizational skills to lead technical deliverables and engage with clients and the project team. You should bring experience in project management to the team and should see mentoring of junior team members as a key aspect of your work.
You will be engaged in all phases of our projects, from proposal preparation to geotechnical analysis, design, and report preparation to preparation of documents for the tender and construction phase.
Work will include:
- engineering analyses and design for a variety of rock engineering and geotechnical projects related to slope stability, tunneling and underground excavations, foundations, rockfall hazards and mining.
- Rock mass characterization and assessment of geological and/or geotechnical conditions.
- Planning and execution of field investigations.
- Occasional field work, which may include visual site inspections, rock slope stability assessments, geological/geotechnical mapping including photogrammetry
- Monitoring of field activities, such as borehole drilling or installation of rock support, or detailed rock core logging.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Self-starter with a desire to learn and engage in creative and critical thinking and with a strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Enjoys working in a team environment and is capable of navigating in-person as well as remote communication.
- Excellent communication (oral and written English) and interpersonal skills are a requirement.
- Canadian French communication skills are considered an asset.
- Proven expertise in rock engineering with practical experience in geotechnical mapping and core logging, rock mass characterization and a good understanding of Rocscience geotechnical software.
- Experience in numerical modelling and with soil mechanics would be of benefit.
- Strong safety awareness
- Valid Canadian Driver’s License.
Education and Experience:
A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of engineering (such as Geotechnical, Geological, Civil or Mining Engineering or Engineering Geology) from a recognized university. A post graduate degree in a rock engineering subject would be an asset.
Your experience should include a minimum of 7 years of pertinent post-graduation practice in consulting engineering. Registration as Professional Engineer in good standing with a provincial association or the ability to obtain the professional designation are a requirement of this position.
The position offers the opportunity to work in the field and in the office. Field work will be limited but is part of the position. The typical office environment requires working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather and work in remote areas.
Flexible work arrangements, such as flexible or reduced work hours and choice of work location, are possible.
This job description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador-St. John's
Job : Geotechnical Engineer
Organization : BC-1216 Environmental Services-GE-Canada East
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Aug 11, 2022, 7:24:52 AM
Req ID: 220002T6
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans