Rock Mechanics EIT
City : Mississauga, ON
Category : Environment - Mining
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
We are a global leader in the Earth and Environment sector. Globally headquartered in Montreal, where it all began, we proudly serve communities from coast to coast and beyond. We have over 14,000 multidisciplinary professionals worldwide collaborating daily to protect and conserve natural landscapes, create firm foundations for communities to stand on, and champion sustainable development to combat climate change.
As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources, expertise, and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from marine biologists to geophysicists to geotechnical engineers and more.
Do you have the desire to learn? The drive to excel and thrive in an engaged, collaborative environment? WSP is seeking a Rock Mechanics - Junior to join our Mine Stability Group, in our Mississauga office.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- Able to work independently in a hybrid work environment (office, home and in field) and confidence in communicating on Microsoft Teams or similar platforms
- Assisting with geotechnical characterization and assessments in support of underground, open pit, and mine closure rock mechanics projects
- Assisting with the planning of geotechnical field data collection programs including developing health and safety plans and conducting utility locates
- Conducting geotechnical data collection in the field including geotechnical core logging, hydrogeological packer testing and simple surveying
- Providing guidance to subcontractors during geotechnical data collection, typically drilling contractors
- Processing and analyzing geotechnical data in Excel and RocScience Dips
- Learning and Using CAD based software (AutoCAD, Leapfrog, Surpac and/or ArcGIS)
- Preparing and working with 2D simple numerical models and eventually 3D numerical models for stability analysis of slopes and underground stopes using RocScience software
- Preparing power point presentation and portions of technical reports
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- Bachelor of Engineering in Mining, Geological, or Civil
- Being able to speak French is an asset
- Eligibility for registration to professional organization(PEO) once obtaining necessary experience
- Ability to complete field and office work as necessary, which may involve work outside of normal business hours
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented with a strong ownership attitude, organized and great time management skills
- Experience working in a team with a positive attitude and working independently
- Critical thinking and problem solving are key attributes since projects are often investigative type work
- Experience in working outdoors(Using ATV, snow machines and/or operating boats) since this role can include working in remote locations in Northern Ontario and Quebec
- Ontario Drivers license. Experience in driving off road is an asset