City : Surrey, BC
Category : 8121RB-Financial Planning and Reporting
Industry : Education
Employer : Kwantlen Polytechnic University - KPU
Kwantlen Polytechnic University
KPU offers all learners opportunities to achieve success in a diverse range of programs that blend theory and practice, critical understanding, and social and ethical awareness necessary for good citizenship and rewarding careers. KPU strives to implement initiatives that will attract, support, engage, and retain KPU’s people and create an environment where all employees see themselves as contributing to student learning.
This role reports to the Manager, Financial Reporting and works closely with the division of Research, Innovation & Graduate Studies, other Analysts and Accountants on the Financial Reporting team. Reporting directly to this position is the Research Analyst.
The Research Accountant (RA) provides leadership in analysis, reporting, guidance and ensures University and funder financial compliance in terms of supporting external budget development, financial monitoring, reconciliation, fiscal year and grant year-end reconciliations and reporting (internal and external) as related to research. The RA is a point of contact for efficient and accurate monitoring of project/research revenues and expenses to ensure the University fulfils its research grant funds management responsibilities as outlined in the Agreement on the Administration of Agency Grants and Awards by Research Institutions.
The incumbent builds and maintains positive working relationships across university departments, with researchers, as well as professional communication with funding agencies and external constituents interested in, or involved with, various funded initiatives.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate degree and Chartered Professional Accountant designation in good standing is required; an equivalent combination of education, training and work experience may be considered.
- Minimum of two years progressive experience including supervisory and/or managerial experience, as well as a demonstrated ability of effective team management and change implementation, resulting in improvements to service quality, staff productivity and systems efficiency.
- Minimum of three years relevant experience in fund accounting, program costing, budget/financial modeling, public sector reporting, administration and assurance, and working with integrated computerized systems.
- At least three years’ experience accounting work in a complex, institutional environment, preferably working in a post-secondary institution with research funds;
- Demonstrated understanding of federal, provincial and independent research grant funding agencies policies and regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, maintain and audit procedures, systems and controls.
- Thorough knowledge and experience in budget, finance, accounting and control procedures, principles and practices and reporting.
- Considerable knowledge of computers and experience with integrated computer-based accounting systems;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain collaborative working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including the ability to balance needs and interests of diverse groups.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and in writing, ability to respond appropriately and in professional manner.
- Good organizational skills and an ability to work effectively under pressure
- Able to work independently and successfully in a team environment.
- Ability to stay current and up to date on changing models, requirements and processes.
- Ability to accurately disseminate information and provide education and support to others.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise discretion and good judgement and know when to bring in others for consultation
- Organizational Awareness: understands the structure, culture and strategic needs of an organization. A demonstrated understanding of and respect for the diverse values and culture of a university environment considered an asset.
- Proven ability to exercise tact and diplomacy, confidentiality, and conflict resolution skills.
- Intercampus travel is required, possession of a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is preferred.
Click here for a more detailed job description.
Does this role sound like it was made for you, yet you don’t check every box?
We at KPU understand that experiences and qualifications may look differently for everyone and, if this job description is of interest to you, we encourage you to apply.
Note to Applicants:
Kwantlen Polytechnic University welcomes and encourages applications from equity deserving groups and diverse experiences including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2S/LGBTQIA+ community.
If there are any barriers that you are experiencing or an accommodation that we can provide to support you through the application process, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.