Reporter, Morning Update Newsletter (Editorial) – Hybrid
City : Toronto
Category : Permanent fulltime
Industry : Printing & Publishing
Employer : The Globe and Mail
The Globe and Mail is seeking an accomplished journalist to write our flagship daily newsletter, Morning Update. The newsletter's author will curate from The Globe’s news cycle — everything from breaking stories to pop-culture phenomena to intricate narratives — to deliver a digest of The successful candidate will be curious and collaborative, with strong news judgment and expertise in analytical writing that exudes voice and personality. A willingness to experiment is a must.
This journalist will work with The Globe and Mail’s newsletter team, a cross-functional group of editorial and product professionals whose mission is to draw new audiences to The Globe, at a time of new investment in the design, execution and growth of an already successful suite of newsletters. The qualifying candidate will be the public face of this key product and must have a strong desire to grow its audience.
- Identify the day’s essential stories and write our daily flagship newsletter, curating from the most pressing news and developments serving all aspects of the readers’ lives.
- Write for the modern, time-pressed reader.
- Stay in step with breaking developments in the newsroom.
- Provide leadership in executing the voice and positioning of The Globe’s flagship newsletter.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in digital media.
- Strong news judgment.
- Expertise in writing clear, illuminating prose.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with colleagues across the organization.
- Well-versed in a range of subjects and with competitors’ work.
- Suited for a fast-paced, creative environment, with a willingness to experiment.
- Comfortable representing the organization by speaking at events, as a podcast guest, etc.
SALARY: This position is classified under Group C of the Editorial Collective Agreement.
WHY CHOOSE THE GLOBE:
The Globe’s mission is to deliver essential content – news, information, analysis and insights – for aspiring individuals and strong communities. The Globe is committed to providing a respectful and inclusive workplace that upholds our values of integrity, collaboration, innovation and accountability.
As Canada’s most respected media brand The Globe is dedicated to making a difference to Canada and you can make a difference by working with us.
- Competitive compensation to ensure we hire, retain and reward team members
- Hybrid work environment that promotes work-life balance
- Generous vacation and flexible work arrangements
- Parental leave top-up
- Competitive health and dental benefits
- Defined benefit pension plan
- Annual wellness subsidy
- On-site chiropractor and registered massage therapist
- Employee and family assistance program
- Free digital subscription to globeandmail.com and 40% off other Globe products
- Education assistance for external training courses
SUPPORTING YOUR GROWTH:
- We are committed to creating equitable opportunities for all employees, to enable everyone to reach their full potential. This commitment is embedded in our strategic plan and core values.
- There are lateral and upward advancement opportunities for rewarding and developing careers.
- We believe in mentorship and collaborative peer-to-peer learning and have both formal and informal programs in place to encourage knowledge-sharing.
- We support continuing education and provide both internal and external opportunities for training and development.
All offers of employment with The Globe and Mail are conditional upon the candidate being Fully Vaccinated. To be Fully Vaccinated is defined as someone who has received the full series of a vaccine or a combination of vaccines accepted by the Government of Canada (currently Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Janssen) and has received the last dose at least 14 days prior to their start date. To prove they are Fully Vaccinated, all new hires will be required to provide evidence by emailing a copy of their vaccine dose administration receipt(s) to Human Resources prior to their start date. Those seeking exemption based on one or more of the protected grounds in the Human Rights Code will need to provide their request for accommodation to Human Resources for approval. If the accommodation request is not approved and the candidate is not Fully Vaccinated, any offer of employment will be revoked.
THE GLOBE AND MAIL IS DEDICATED TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION IN THE WORKPLACE
The Globe and Mail is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued, respected and supported. We believe this strengthens our business and our journalism. We welcome and encourage applications from individuals from all groups, regardless of race, ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, religion, socio-economic status, age, and physical ability. As required by the Federal Contractors Program, The Globe also tracks the proportion of staff in the four Employment Equity categories (Women, Aboriginal Peoples, Persons with Disabilities, and Members of Visible Minorities) to ensure we are reflecting the areas in which we work.
The Globe and Mail offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities as part of its recruitment process. If you are contacted to arrange for an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.