Registered Practical Nurse, Emergency Mental Health & Addiction Services / Trillium Acute Care
City : Guelph
Category : Part-time Hourly
Industry : Nursing
Employer : Homewood Health Inc.
Make a difference in a growing, innovative mental health organization and centre of excellence in people-centered care. Work with supportive colleagues who are passionate about improving lives and champions for quality and continuous learning.
As a Registered Nurse with our Emergency Mental Health & Addiction Services (EMHAS)/Trillium Acute Care Unit, you will be an integral part of a collaborative, inter-disciplinary team focused on delivering seamless services and programs to our clients and customers. If you are looking for a company that is constantly moving forward in pursuit of successful outcomes, get ready to love it here!
Internal applications for this position within the ONA bargaining unit must be received within 7 days of being posted to have seniority considered in the selection process.
What you’ll be doing:
- Provide care based on a crisis model of care with a bio-psychosocial approach in a safe environment
- Manage crisis and emergency situations in an Emergency Department environment
- Provide care to patients admitted to Trillium in psychiatric crisis requiring short stay admission to in the Intensive Care Unit and the Assessment and Stabilization program
- Assume Charge Nurse responsibilities as assigned, and direct the work of others
- Contribute to fluctuating patient care needs according to CNO standards, RNAO Best Practice Guidelines, specific program philosophy and diversified patient populations within Trillium
- Work from nursing care plans established by the primary nurse for each patient within Trillium
- Administer psychiatric, and non-psychiatric medications and treatments
- Provide group facilitation
- Assess and prevent suicide and manage aggressive behaviour through non-violent crisis intervention techniques
- Engage with interdisciplinary teams and individual team members as appropriate
- Act as a preceptor, mentor, coach, or resource nurse as appropriate
- Maintain accurate and timely documentation and reports
- Participate in clinical discussions, team meetings, and patient/family conferences
What we’re looking for:
- Licensed as a Registered Nurse with the CNO, in good standing
- CPMHN (C) preferred
- 2+ years of experience working with patients who have a broad range of psychiatric diagnoses preferred
- 2+ years recent experience in Emergency Mental Health/Acute Assessment/Community Crisis
- 1 year in Charge Nurse role preferred
- Working knowledge of the Mental Health Act, and community mental health resources
- CPR/Basic Rescuer
- Proven ability to assume leadership
- Experience with group facilitation
- Sound clinical judgment based on current best practices, and patient centered care
- Applied understanding of the Mental Status Exam, and Crisis management
- Knowledge of CBT/DBT is an asset
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong inter-personal skills and respectful communication style with patients, families and staff
As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our patients, staff and community from COVID-19, subject to any accommodation required by applicable human rights legislation, Homewood Health Centre requires that all staff have received all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada.
Why work with us
Homewood Health is Canada’s largest and leading service provider for medically focused, evidence-based treatment of mental health and addiction disorders. Our organizational culture values service excellence, integrity, collaboration and innovation. Our people make a difference!
As an equal opportunity employer, Homewood Health is committed to employment accessibility, diversity, equity and inclusion. For this reason, we encourage applications from members of equity-seeking groups including women, racialized and indigenous communities, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions.
Join us at Homewood Health™ and be part of a diverse team helping Canadians live healthier, more productive and fulfilling lives.