Requisition ID: 88121
Career Group: Pharmacy Careers
Job Category: National Pharmacy
Part Time or Full Time: Full Time
Country: Canada (CA)
Province: Newfoundland and Labrador (CA-NL)
City: St. John's
Location: Lawtons - 154 (Campbell Avenue)
Our family of 123,000 employees and franchise affiliates share a collective passion for delivering exceptional shopping experiences and amazing food to all our customers. Our mission is to nurture the things that make life better – great experiences, families, communities, and our employees.
A proudly Canadian company, we started in a small town in Nova Scotia but we are now in communities of all sizes across this great country. With over 1500 stores in all 10 provinces, you may know us as Sobeys, Safeway, IGA, Foodland, FreshCo, Thrifty Foods, Lawton’s Drug Stores or another of our great banners but we are all one extended family.
All career opportunities will be open a minimum of 5 business days from the date of posting.
We currently have an opportunity for a full-time Registered Pharmacy Technician to join Sobeys at our Lawtons Drugs #154 Campbell Avenue location in St. John's, Newfoundland.
The Registered Pharmacy Technician position is a regulated position that requires the individual to be licensed with the provincial college of pharmacy. In addition to all duties that can be performed by a pharmacy assistant, the RPT is able to conduct some restricted activities under the indirect supervision of a pharmacist. The authorized duties of the technician are limited by legal restrictions imposed by individual Provincial Pharmacy Regulatory Bodies. It is essential that both pharmacists and pharmacy technicians clearly understand which functions and duties may be performed by the RPT and which duties may not be undertaken by the RPT.
RPT’s will have independent authority, responsibility and liability (required by legislation to have liability insurance) to prepare, process and compound prescriptions including:
- receive and transcribe verbal prescriptions from practitioners, (with the exception of verbal narcotic prescriptions and benzodiazepines)
- ensure that a prescription is complete and authentic
- transfer prescriptions to and receive prescriptions from other pharmacies,
- ensure the accuracy of a prepared prescription,
- perform the final check of a prepared prescription and
- ensure the accuracy of drug and personal health information in patient records
An RPT may only perform these restricted activities if:
- a pharmacist has assessed the prescription, the patient, the patient’s health history and medication record and has determined that the drug therapy is appropriate for the patient, and
A pharmacist must be available to counsel the patient and to monitor the patient’s drug therapy at some point before the prescription is released to the patient.
- Completion of the Pharmacy Technician Certification
- Knowledge of MS Word and Excel
- Above average oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Experience with Lawtons Drugs/Sobeys Pharmacy Computer systems preferred
- Relevant post secondary education preferred
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work independently in a fast environment
- Available days, evenings, and weekends
Sobeys is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process and will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of this process.
While all responses are appreciated only those being considered for interviews will be acknowledged.
We appreciate the interest from the Staffing industry however respectfully request no calls or unsolicited resumes from Agencies.