Summary of Purpose/Major Responsibilities
The Mission of Sanofi’s MSL Team and the Medical Science Liaison is to be the trusted scientific partners in the field for external experts and decision-makers engaging in mutual scientific exchanges to accelerate data dissemination, enhance the understanding of the scientific and medical value of our products in the therapeutic area and gather new insights by bringing cutting edge scientific exchange today that accelerates medical innovation tomorrow.
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is field-facing role whose main objectives are to:
- Be the trusted scientific partner to key external experts by conducting timely, appropriate and frequent scientific exchanges to enhance the understanding of the scientific and medical value of our products
- Execute on stakeholder engagement plans to gather data, develop and share medical insights that contribute to enhancement of Sanofi’s key medical messages, plans and future research
- Gather data on topics of interest develop and share medical insights that contribute to enhancement of Sanofi’s key medical messages, strategic plans and future research
- Keep abreast of medical and scientific developments in the therapeutic field to help identify and critically assess research opportunities and to play a supportive role in the execution of evidence generation plans to enhance the value of our products in a real-world setting
- Recognize and record insights that deepen our understanding of the needs of patients, consumers, regulators, payers, and healthcare providers and proactively identifies unmet needs.
- Maintain effective and appropriate communication among internal stakeholders (Medical Affairs colleagues, Medical Information and Commercial Operations) while maintaining full compliance with relevant company, industry, legal and regulatory requirements
- Demonstrate operational understanding and risk management by ensuring excellence in execution of all governance processes
Engages external stakeholders on medical and scientific information exchange for the therapeutic area during an one-on-one interactions and group settings, exhibiting excellent scientific and clinical knowledge
- Uses strong knowledge of relevant diseases and disease management protocols, healthcare environment and competitors to articulate the medical and scientific value of our products
- Actively engages with appropriate stakeholders on medical, clinical, epidemiological, and scientific topics to advance their understanding of the disease by sharing information and answering questions based on approved material within Regulatory guidelines
- Engages with appropriate stakeholders to understand the state of healthcare policies and guidelines as they relate to clinical practices at a local, state, regional, federal, or national level.
- Uses defined systems to maps, identify, profile, and prioritizes stakeholders in line with the therapeutic area medical plan and looks for opportunities to collaborate to address the HCPs therapeutic goals
- Effectively utilizes the Stakeholder Engagement Model to plan territory and individual stakeholder (Key Opinion Leaders, payers, HCP etc..) medical strategy and engagement interaction plans consistent with the MSL Activity Plan and medical function priorities
- Establishes robust, long-term peer relationships with Key Opinion Leaders and other stakeholder partners
- Attends and follows up on scientific congresses, symposium as directed
- Organizes educational meetings or local scientific advisory boards when requested
- Support speakers training to ensure continued scientific support in the field
- Responds to unsolicited request for medical information associated with supported products and disease state areas
Gathers data and generates insights from stakeholder interactions and provides feedback to the organization
- Recognize and collect feedback/reactions from multiple data sources and various stakeholders
- Record/report insights and information appropriately, using available mechanisms and tools
- Critically and routinely evaluate and discern from the information gained from published studies, and stakeholder interactions key insights that deepen our understanding of the market’s needs and opinions of external stakeholders, contribute to enhancement of Sanofi’s scientific messages, plans, strategy, systems, and product development.
- Maintain awareness of and assesses emerging evidence in disease area to educate and enhance discussions with key stakeholders
Collaborates effectively with internal stakeholders
- Collaborates, as directed, with internal stakeholders, Commercial Operations, Business Development, Regulatory, etc. to facilitate diligence reviews, medical and safety evaluation, product positioning, lifecycle evidence planning, and compliance needs
- Distributes relevant scientific and medical information to internal stakeholders when requested
- Contributes to the creation of material for internal and external stakeholders where applicable, following internal Sanofi policies, and Federal and National Policies as applicable
Supports evidence-generation activities by aiding in data acquisition and identifying opportunities for further data collection clinical or investigator-led
- Monitors disease epidemiology and provides support, including protocol development, when needed on various types of studies: long-term surveillance, compliance, pharmacovigilance, and effectiveness studies
- Identifies data collection opportunities during stakeholder interactions and reports these using approved processes
- Maintains awareness of clinical trial activity within territory and suggests clinical trials sites as requested
- Responds to unsolicited requests regarding interest in investigator sponsored studies (ISS), and supports ISS submissions through appropriate internal processes.
Context of the job/major challenges
- Able to operate independently (with minimal supervision) and navigate complex regulatory environments in person and via digital channels from remote (non-office based) environment
- Possible substantial travel: nationally and internationally
- Effectively mediate KOL's complex and controversial opinions vs; corporate policy decisions ensuring KOL relationships/medical strategy are not negatively impacted
- Ensures regulatory boundaries re non-promotional activities are respected vis-à-vis commercial partners
Scope of Role / Outputs
- Manage a base of ca. stakeholders; developing and maintaining stakeholder engagement tracking database
- Plan day-to-day interactions, including discussion points in accordance with Medical Affairs strategy, establishing a frequency of interactions per stakeholder per year to ensure that objectives are met
- Accountability for ON and Atlantic Provinces, (Multiple Sclerosis) with reporting mainly to Medical Affairs
- Executes on defined KOL territory strategy that is targeted to address diverse stakeholder needs (payers, patients, KOLs, HCP etc) and is aligned with company objectives
- Develops relevant territory engagement plans in line with the medical strategy and supports the team’s medical plan execution
- Uses approved scientific data during KOL interactions to advance the understanding of the therapeutic area
- Advanced degree in a technical, scientific or medical field (MD, PhD, Pharm D,) preferred, or other Relevant Life Sciences Degree (RN/MS) with Healthcare Specialty required
- Previous pharmaceutical industry experience preferred
- Clear understanding of medical practice, clinical decision making and healthcare systems related to patient care
- Ability to interpret key scientific data and translate this information to meet educational and research needs.
- Demonstrated ability to address educational and research needs through delivery of cutting edge scientific/evidenced based data.
- Understand the design and execution of research studies.
- Exemplary communication and presentation skills.
- Experience in working on multi-disciplinary teams and managing significant volume of projects
- Actively listens to others and is adept at confidently stating expert opinion while respecting the positions of others - can exert diplomacy while standing firm on a position
- Utilizes effective, professional communications to cultivate strong working relationships with internal and external colleagues, flexible in own approach to people and situations
- Skillfully plans, prioritizes, and executes multiple responsibilities and projects
- Demonstrates effective leadership skills (by example and through accomplishments), steps forward to handle challenges within scope of authority
- Deep understanding and knowledge of local regulations and codes of practice for pharmaceutical industry, in particular as they apply to the non-promotional activities of this role.
- Demonstrates scientific expertise - stays abreast of data, treatment trends, and new information in the profession and ability to articulate therapeutic knowledge and translate expert feedback into appropriate insights
- Knowledge of relevant healthcare systems, the evolving medical landscape, regulatory and payer environment, public health and industry trends
- Proficiency in digital tools
- Working knowledge of English as a second language
About Sanofi – www.sanofi.ca
Sanofi is dedicated to supporting people through their health challenges. We are a global biopharmaceutical company focused on human health. We prevent illness with vaccines, provide innovative treatments to fight pain and ease suffering. We stand by the few who suffer from rare diseases and the millions with long-term chronic conditions. With more than 100,000 people in 100 countries, Sanofi is transforming scientific innovation into healthcare solutions around the globe.
Sanofi entities in Canada include the Diabetes and Cardiovascular Care Business Unit, the General Medicines and Established Products Business Unit, Sanofi Pasteur (vaccines), Sanofi Genzyme (specialty care) and Sanofi Consumer Health. Together they employ close to 1,900 people. In 2015 Sanofi companies invested $133.3 million in R&D in Canada, creating jobs, business and opportunity throughout the country.
Sanofi is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. We welcome and encourage applications from all qualified applicants. Accommodations for persons with disabilities required during the recruitment process are available upon request.
Thank you in advance for your interest.
Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Follow Sanofi Canada on Twitter: @SanofiCanada and on YouTube: youtube.com/user/sanoficanada
Sanofi, Empowering Life
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.