City : Banff
Category : Sally Borden Fitness and Recreation
Industry : Charitable and Non-profit
Employer : Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity
Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity aims to inspire everyone who attends our campus – artists, leaders, and thinkers – to unleash their creative potential.
We acknowledge, with deep respect and gratitude, our home on the side of Sacred Buffalo Guardian Mountain. In the spirit of respect and truth, we honour and acknowledge the Banff area, known as “Minhrpa” (translated in Stoney Nakoda as “the waterfalls”) and the Treaty 7 territory and oral practices of the Îyârhe Nakoda (Stoney Nakoda) – comprised of the Bearspaw, Chiniki, and Goodstoney Nation – as well as the Tsuut’ina First Nation and the Blackfoot Confederacy comprised of the Siksika, Piikani, Kainai. We acknowledge that this territory is home to the Shuswap Nations, Ktunaxa Nations, and Metis Nation of Alberta, Region 3. We acknowledge all Nations who live, work, and play, help us steward this land, and honour and celebrate this place.
The Sally Borden Fitness and Recreation Centre is looking for experienced Recreation Staff/Lifeguards to provide exceptional customer-service at the reception desk and throughout the facility.
Roles and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Recreation Department Manager, below are some key accountabilities:
- Process and maintain accurate fitness membership records, ensuring that all memberships are current with dues paid
- Enforce facility policies and procedures, including cleaning and disinfecting procedures
- Administer emergency first aid, as required, to ensure the safety of all guests
- Perform life guarding duties, maintaining compliance with the guidelines set out by the Lifesaving Society and National Lifeguard Service
- Pool cleaning and maintenance duties, ensuring all procedures relative to water purification and safety are effectively carried out, including proper filtration and chemical balancing
Qualification and Educational Requirements
- Possess current Canadian qualifications for National Lifeguard Service, Standard First Aid with Level "C" CPR and AED, and Oxygen Administration
- Previous experience as a lifeguard in a pool setting
- Minimum 6 months’ experience in a similar customer service role
- Basic computer skills
- Due to the nature of the job, this position requires the candidate to be available to work a flexible, irregular schedule and weekends
- There are specific clothing requirements for this position
- Candidates must provide copies of all required qualifications before a final job offer can be made and must re-certify qualifications if they expire within 6 months of starting employment
- A vulnerable sector check is required for this position
Employment Terms & Benefits
- In accordance with CUPE 4318, this is a unionized, hourly support staff position, subject to a 500 hour probation period
- This position pays $19.94 per hour working up to 37.5 hours per week on a rotating schedule
- Benefits of working at Banff Centre are:
- Staff housing options (based on availability)
- Professional development
- Staff cafeteria and restaurant discounts
- Onsite fitness facility at a discounted rate – first month free for new staff!
- We are accepting applications for the Recreation Staff/Lifeguard position until a suitable candidate is found.
- Candidates offered a position with Banff Centre, in this capacity, will be required to obtain a criminal record check verifying a clear record before a final job offer can be finalized.
- Visa Requirements: Candidates must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Banff Centre is unable to assist candidates in obtaining Canadian work authorization.
All Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity Employees are encouraged to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.