Realtime embedded SW designer: New Grad
City : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Category : Engineering
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
Since 1992, Ciena has been driven by a relentless pursuit of network innovation. We believe in a network that grows smarter, more agile, and more responsive every day. This means that when you digitally interact in your world - picking up the phone, streaming video, texting a friend or loved one – your interactions are being enabled by Ciena technologies. Ciena makes your social/entertainment/business existence REAL.
Ciena enables everyone to have a voice and a network that supports them while on the journey to discovering their passion and purpose. We trust each individual to do what they can to reach their full potential and make an impact on the business, whenever, wherever they are in the world. With Ciena’s highly innovative, forward-thinking business practices, we reward people for pushing the boundaries.
Our culture balances our openness and informality with professionalism and trust and is built on the foundation of our core values: Customer First, Integrity, Velocity, Innovation, and Outstanding People.
Unlock your potential at Ciena!
What will you do at Ciena as a Software Engineer?
Within Ciena’s Converged Packet Optical family of products, we are looking for newly graduated candidates who will be enthusiast to work on a highly dynamic environment on Ciena’s Agile and Next Generation Programmable Optical Platform.
- Develop embedded card software on a next generation optical network platform.
- Participating in all stages of software development - requirements analysis, design and prototyping, implementation, integration testing, and eventually maintenance support.
- Troubleshoot hardware and software, as well as performance issues. Work with hardware, software, verification and system engineering teams to identify root cause of issue;
- Help to investigate and collect information to resolve process, design and field issues found on current or previous designs;
- Identifying software performance improvements through test driven development, automated unit testing, and comprehensive integration testing;
- Engage with Product Owners and System Architects to evolve software applications adopting new features and technologies without compromising performance
- Understand the software architecture, in order to improve resiliency, debuggability and maintainability.
What technical experience and/or professional and personal skills are required for this role?
- A minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Computer system Engineering, Software Engineering or equivalent degree
- Software development expertise, particularly large-scale real time embedded software development in C/C++.
- Ability to understand uP Hardware architectures, Hardware Functional Specifications and Hardware Timing Diagrams
- Capable on delivering on multiple parallel priorities.
- Must be fast learner with excellent debugging skills.
- Familiarity with VxWork/Linux development environment and real time OS ie. VxWork/QNX/Linux
- Familiarity with developing software on multi-processor, real time multi-taskings, highly concurrent systems (good knowledge of mutual exclusion, synchronization, interrupt handling, inter-process communication, etc.)
- Experience in C & Python programming language
- Experience with design and development tools such as Git, Eclipse, JIRA, GDB, etc.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to troubleshoot and perform fault isolation and usage of source code debug tools.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills to present ideas and coordinate troubleshooting.
- Excellent organization skills to manage time, resources, and priorities.
- Independent self-starter and committed to delivering on aggressive deadlines.
Comfortable in a team environment while still taking accountability and working independently as needed.
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.