Public Affairs Coordinator – Special Project (May 2023 – April 2024)
City : Hamilton
Category : Full-Time Admin
Industry : Education
Employer : Mohawk College
Status: Special Project (May 2023 – April 2024)
Hours: Monday to Friday
Home Campus: Fennell
Pay Band: 8
Salary Range: $62,782 - $78,476
Posting Date: May 17th, 2023
Closing Date: May 24th, 2023 at 7:00 pm EST
We support and encourage the contributions of our diverse employees. Supported by a new strategic plan we are committed to nurturing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for everyone who learns and works at Mohawk. We believe the rich diversity among our students and the communities we serve should be reflected within our workforce. As educators we believe it is important to act and show leadership in advancing the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion in our community.
Mohawk College is currently recruiting for our next
Public Affairs Coordinator
Reporting to the Senior Public Affairs Advisor, the Public Affairs Coordinator is responsible for supporting and coordinating the administrative processes related to the public affairs and communications activities of the department; support in the implementation of promotional initiatives and advertising to support the strategic objectives of the College’s Public Affairs Strategy, the college-wide strategy and supporting public affairs events and initiatives.
hey will be responsible for support and guidance of internal college-wide strategic communication initiatives developed between departments and public affairs. Coordinate content collection and categorization to support reports, documents and publications. The incumbent will support the reporting and tools for Public Affairs goal setting and appraisal.
In terms of liaison with college faculty and administration, industry associations, business, public sector, and non-profit organizations, the role will support the Senior Public Affairs Advisor in opportunities and the coordination and management of face-to-face, electronic and print communications. This position will also support reporting to government bodies on lobbying activities.
The duties of this position will include, but are not limited to the following:
Operations and Promotional Activities
- Support the creation of promotional materials to optimally position the College from a Public Affairs perspective in the post-secondary institutional environment.
- Assist in managing the Momentum publication including writer needs, interviewee needs, photography and oversee design, proofing and release of final piece.
- Support and manage the public affairs advertising needs in local and industry publications including scope of article angle, writer needs, design elements and publication posting.
- Assist in scoping and supporting in the creation of content and communication plans for college publications from areas such as Foundation, Ideaworks, Marketing, Alumni, Recruitment, Academic proposals and others through a college-wide strategic lens.
- Support the on-going internal communications needs for staff and students including posting to intranet and working with departments on effective communication best practices.
- Communicate projects and liaises with internal college contacts to promote public affairs activities.
- Coordinate and monitor needs for external writers and project management to bring initiatives to completion.
- Prepare and provide summaries of public affairs projects and related narrative to be submitted as progress reports.
- Support the development of content for the website and other communication channels in a reputation lens in conjunction with Public Affairs and communications staff.
- Support Internal Communication Advisor and Media Advisor on maintenance of public affairs website content, coordinating materials for posting including narrative, videos, blogs, interviews and other content; manage content relating to the department for posting to College website.
- Support reporting for financial budgets attached to projects.
- Provide agreed-upon, regular status reports on matters falling within responsibilities.
- Develop and implement initiatives and communications products to increase awareness of College activities within specific sectors and the regional community.
- Support Senior Public Affairs Advisor in engaging industry and community partners in projects and events.
- Assist in review and editing of college promotional materials to ensure alignment with strategic plan objectives and positioning.
- Participate in college initiatives and steering committees on new or existing projects as required.
Public Affairs Events
- Support department-led events through promotional materials and logistical support.
- Coordinate and manage special promotional campaigns targeted at specific audiences.
- Work with other College groups and support staff to organize participation, procure all necessary supplies, ensures resources are assigned and allocated, and manage any related expenses.
- Work with Senior Public Affairs Advisor along with academic deans and VPs to create and execute tours and experiences for external guests showcasing Mohawk’s strengths.
Other duties as assigned
The successful applicant will have:
- A Diploma/Degree in disciplines such as marketing, advertising, graphic design, business or a related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience is required at the point of hire into this position.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in a multi-department setting.
- Self-starter, comfortable with establishing own priorities, taking initiative, and working independently
- Able to effectively handle multiple assignments at one time in a highly collaborative environment.
- Capable of learning new technologies quickly.
- Prior experience in developing communications tools.
- Customer service training/skills and client relationship building skills including ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including upper management, other departments and external clients and stakeholders.
- Extensive experience with and a sound knowledge of the media, design and printing/publishing processes.
- High degree of problem solving, judgement and decision making abilities required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written/oral communication skills.
- Highly developed project management skills.
- Ability to communicate complex technical information both verbally and in writing.
- Experience with managing budgets and adhering to policies.
- Proven ability to develop/implement marketing strategies and plans.
- Related professional experience in brand management or marketing services.
- Demonstrated experience in writing positioning proposals and developing promotional materials.
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights, equity, diversity and inclusion with the ability to communicate and work effectively inter-culturally with diverse groups of students, employees and the community.
Mohawk College prioritizes recruiting and retaining diverse employees. With this in mind, the College is committed to fostering inclusive and barrier-free recruitment and selection processes.
Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (905) 575 - 2047.
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, S2LGBTQIA+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
For more information concerning the Mohawk College strategic plan, please see: strategicplan.mohawkcollege.ca/