Project Support Specialist
City : Dartmouth
Category : Project/Program Management
Industry : Transportation equipment manufacturing
Employer : J.D. Irving
PROJECT SUPPORT SPECIALIST
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A 4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding is proud to be Canada’s National Shipbuilder. Over the next 30 years, our shipbuilders will construct 20+ modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of the largest defence procurement project in Canadian history.
We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on these vessels. We are committed to building the best ships, with the best workforce in the best facilities. By joining our team of more than 2,300 shipbuilders, you can enjoy a dynamic, diverse, and family-friendly career with a company dedicated to your success, learning, health, wellness, and safety.
At Irving Shipbuilding, we’re making history – why not make it with us? Learn more about careers at Irving Shipbuilding: shipsforcanada.ca/opportunities.
The Project Director is accountable to the customer and ISI leadership for ensuring that the project is delivered in accordance with the contract & scope of work, within constraints such as schedule and cost. The Project Management team represent the Project Director for sub-sets of the contracted scope of work.
Assistant PMs have a similar skill set to Project Managers but are assigned by the PM to a smaller or less complex component of the scope than they themselves are responsible for. They should be fully versed in the Statement of Work and Contract requirements for their delegated scope and, working with stakeholders, are responsible for ensuring that delivery of that scope is planned, performance managed (including corrective actions), and completed. In addition, they are involved in any change to the scope, budget, or related schedule milestones.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Project Support Specialist.
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons, and persons of the 2SLGBTQ+ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued. ISI is committed to working towards a barrier-free workplace and to expanding the accessibility of the workplace to persons with disabilities. Candidates who require accommodation during the selection process are invited to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Education: Post-secondary degree, in business administration, engineering or related discipline an asset
· Additional years of experience may be acceptable in lieu of a degree.
· Recognized PM designation (such as PMI) an asset.
· Experience: Minimum 3 years’ experience in Project Management, in defence/design/construction industries.
· Experience in naval design or build sectors, or major international defence contracts, an asset.
· Strong background in stakeholder management and teamwork skills; pro-active and results focused.
· High level of competence with core Project Management processes: scheduling, budgeting and cost forecasting, performance tracking, risk management.
· Must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP) and Canadian Government Security clearance.
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
· Initiation/change: Support the PM in the development of customer proposals. Raise change requests/proposals where needed for the assigned scope of work and seek approval from the PM. Review change requests raised elsewhere where there is an impact to the assigned scope.
· Initiation: Support the PM with working with CAMs to develop Control Account Plans for delivery of the scope work.
· Execution: Ensure inputs are being provided as required to performance reporting tools, including schedule and financial forecasting.
· Execution: Review performance reports (internal and suppliers), including progress on previous corrective actions. Generate new corrective actions and update risks/opportunities as necessary.
· Execution: Support engagements with external stakeholders where it applies to cost, schedule, or scope change.
· Support the Program Management level ad-hoc initiatives.
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
· A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan
· Employee & Family Assistance Programs
· RRSP matching program
· Health & Wellness reimbursements
· Opportunities to take part in job related training and development.
· Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies
· Relocation costs (if eligible)
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as ‘Safety Sensitive’ where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Talent Acquisition at email@example.com.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.