Project Manager, Rail & Transit
City : Edmonton, AB
Category : T&I - Transportation Systems
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
CALGARY, EDMONTON AND WINNIPEG
WSP is currently seeking Project Managers to join our Rail & Transit team in Western Canada. These positions may be located in Calgary AB, Edmonton AB, or Winnipeg MB offices.
Reporting to the Manager, Rail & Transit, this position will be responsible for managing multi-disciplinary teams responsible for delivering complex projects on time, within budget and with quality results. The Project Manager will plan, organize, monitor, and oversee one or more projects. Projects may include policy reviews, research, operational reviews, network planning, transit planning and design, and construction administration. Types of projects may include bus, heavy and light rail, commuter rail or subway infrastructure, new or expanded stations and mobility hubs, operations and maintenance facilities, commuter parking facilities, and other associated transit works.
- Manage multi-disciplinary teams of Project Managers, Engineers, Planners, Designers, Inspectors, and other staff as required;
- Lead the teams through the successful completion of small, medium and large complex projects, able to manage multiple projects at a time;
- Prepare project work plans and schedules, and obtain management/client approval;
- Maintain regular communication with clients regarding project status and project quality, and proactively resolve issues;
- Manage relationships with project stakeholders, including internal and external clients and vendors, regulatory authorities and technical agencies, and the public. This involves keeping the stakeholders informed of progress and issues in order to manage expectations on all project requirements and deliverables, and meet the project schedule;
- Proactively track, analyze and report on actual performance against the plan, and prepare cost and schedule reporting, both for clients and as part of internal reporting processes. Address change management matters promptly and professionally with clients and internal departments;
- Analyze project management and project delivery risks, establish contingency plans and identify trigger events and responsibility for initiating mitigating action;
- Manage business development initiatives including Requests for Qualifications and Requests for Proposals; with input from others, compile a comprehensive and realistic scope of work, and prepare a complete and accurate fee estimate, in a format suitable for obtaining the required management approvals;
- Provide mentoring, assistance, encouragement and motivation to team members, fostering an environment focused on achievement, and empowerment.
- A University Degree in Engineering (Civil Engineering preferred) with 5+ years experience;
- Experience managing multi-disciplinary teams of project professionals; concurrently managing issues, scope and quality while bringing projects to successful completion within the cost and time requirements;
- Familiarity with all commonly used project delivery models;
- Strong business development and client management skills, scheduling techniques, and budget development;
- Experience in project planning, risk management, cost management and schedule management, and methods of analyzing and reporting project performance on financial and other KPIs;
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, including experience making presentations to senior management, elected officials and the public;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; the ability to work well with people from many different disciplines with varying degrees of technical experience; competence in clear, concise and tactful communication with senior management, clients, peers and staff;
- Strategic, conceptual analytical thinking and decision making skills;
- Demonstrated willingness to learn;
- Adaptability and flexibility including the ability to manage deadline pressure, ambiguity and change; and
- Negotiating skills within a context of political sensitivity and conflicting interests.