Project Manager, Rail and Transit
City : Toronto, ON
Category : T&I - Transportation Systems
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
WSP is currently seeking a Project Manager to join our Rail & Transit team, located at our Thornhill office. Reporting to the Manager, you will be responsible for managing multi-disciplinary teams responsible for delivering complex projects on time, within budget and with quality results. The Project Manager will plan, organize, monitor, and oversee one or more projects. Projects may include policy reviews, research, operational reviews, network planning, transit planning and design, and construction administration. Types of projects may include bus, heavy and light rail, commuter rail or subway infrastructure, new or expanded stations and mobility hubs, operations and maintenance facilities, commuter parking facilities, and other associated transit works.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
Why Work with WSP's Rail & Transit team?
- WSP strives for gender balanced representation, including mentorship, and collaboration;
- Be in charge of your own career growth by working collaboratively with your manager;
- Flexible benefits;
- Wellness time (to manage work life balance);
- Hybrid return to office policy (unless otherwise stated per project requirements);
- Opportunities to contribute to impactful projects locally and internationally;
- Be a part of a collaborative high performing team;
A day in the life:
- Manage multi-disciplinary teams of (junior) Project Managers, Engineers, Planners, Designers, Inspectors, and other staff as required;
- Lead the teams through the successful completion of small, medium and large complex projects, able to manage multiple projects at a time;
- Develop and monitor scope and schedule within the overall program constraints, within a collaborative contractual structure (Alliance, Progressive DB, CMAR);
- Prepare project work plans and schedules, and obtain management/client approval;
- Maintain regular communication with clients regarding project status and project quality, and proactively resolve issues;
- Manage relationships with project stakeholders, including internal and external clients and vendors, regulatory authorities and technical agencies, and the public. This involves keeping the stakeholders informed of progress and issues to manage expectations on all project requirements and deliverables, and meet the project schedule;
- Proactively track, analyze and report on actual performance against the plan, and prepare cost and schedule reporting, both for clients and as part of internal reporting processes. Address change management matters promptly and professionally with clients and internal departments;
- Analyze project management and project delivery risks, establish contingency plans and identify trigger events and responsibility for initiating mitigating action;
- Manage business development initiatives including Requests for Qualifications and Requests for Proposals; with input from others, compile a comprehensive and realistic scope of work, and prepare a complete and accurate fee estimate, in a format suitable for obtaining the required management approvals;
- Provide mentoring, assistance, encouragement and motivation to team members, fostering an environment focused on achievement, and empowerment.
We'd love to hear from you if you have ...
- A University Degree in Engineering (Civil Engineering preferred).
- 8-10 years of relevant experience;
- Experience managing multi-disciplinary teams of project professionals; concurrently managing issues, scope and quality while bringing projects to successful completion within the scope, quality, cost, and time requirements;
- Experience in Collaborative procurement models, especially Alliance and Progressive DB;
- Strong business development and client management skills, scheduling techniques, and budget development;
- Experience in project planning, risk management, cost management and schedule management, and methods of analyzing and reporting project performance on financial and other KPIs;
- Excellent interpersonal skills including communication, presentation, leadership, and report writing proficiency with a strong desire and ability to collaborate in problem solving in an integrated team environment;
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, including experience making presentations to senior management, elected officials and the public.
- Project Management Professional Certification (PMP) would be considered as an asset;
- Proven leadership and management skills;
- Ability to work successfully in multi-disciplinary teams and across different business units in a matrix organization with little to no supervision;
- Ability to adapt well to changes in direction and priorities in a project and deadline-oriented environment;
- Negotiating skills within a context of political sensitivity and conflicting interests;
- Experience in a Consulting Engineering environment is an asset.