Project Manager, Distribution
City : Edmonton
Category : Permanent Full Time
Industry : Utilities
Employer : EPCOR
Highlights of the job
We are hiring one (1) Full Time, Permanent Project Manager, Distribution position working out of Edmonton, AB.
This position is eligible for EPCOR’s Where We Work hybrid work program!
The Project Manager, Distribution is accountable for managing and successfully completing a portfolio of annual projects and programs within Distribution to meet growth demands, fulfill requirements under EDTI’s Franchise and TELUS agreements, service new customers, and enhance system reliability and safety. This includes ensuring project budgets are accurate and complete, obtaining required approvals from internal and external stakeholders and governing bodies. The Project Manager, Distribution assigns scopes of work to internal and external resources based on current priorities and deadlines; monitors, controls and reports on project progress and costs on an ongoing basis in accordance with corporate and EDTI requirements.
What you’d be responsible for
- Develop comprehensive project charters for each assigned capital project or program ensuring budget and resource estimates are accurate given available data; assumptions, and constraints are documented.
- Report to project sponsors and key stakeholders on project performance (budget, schedule, and scope) through duration of project or program.
- Ensure the delivery of complete, accurate on time and constructible work order packages by setting appropriate IFC target dates, arranging design walk-throughs on large-scale.
- Optimizing use of resources by working collaboratively with other Project Managers, Foreman, and Schedulers to compare required project completion dates against resource availability and assign appropriate scopes of work to internal crews and external contractors aligning the scope of work with both resource skill sets and availability.
- Evaluating and appoint external contractors and consultants to support project execution in compliance with EDTI procurement, regulatory, HSE, and legal requirements.
- Ensuring adequate qualifications, cost minimization, and proper contractor management practices.
- Leading project kick-off meetings for all large-scale, high profile, environmentally sensitive or complex projects or those that require coordination with external parties.
- Ensure project requirements, schedules, performance and any site specific safety and environmental requirements or restrictions are proactively managed and clearly communicated to all parties.
- Monitor projects throughout execution by maintaining open communication channels with field crews, inspectors, contractors, engineering to soliciting progress updates.
- Conduct site visits to document progress, pro-actively identify and manage risks and issues to ensure compliance with the approved project scope, schedule, and budget.
- Conduct routine safety inspections on projects sites documenting any deficiencies found and assign appropriate corrective actions.
- Support the execution of work in achieving project compliance and meeting performance metrics by:
- Facilitating project planning meetings to evaluate work progress and address planning issues
- Providing guidance on project priority
- Creating and maintaining an executable distribution portfolio plan
- Creating and maintaining monthly project metrics reports
- Develop and implement an optimized annual portfolio management plan by reviewing and analyzing Distribution’s annual projects and budgets to ensure that crew workloads are balanced and cost efficiency opportunities are realized, and project deadlines are met.
What’s required to be successful
- Professional Engineering Degree in Civil or Electrical Engineering.
- A Professional Licensee (PL) in Civil or Electrical Engineering with extensive experience in trades, construction or project management, will be considered.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation will be considered an asset.
- 5+ years of progressively responsible experience in electrical distribution systems required, including direct design or construction experience in Aerial and Underground Distribution systems.
- Knowledge of Aerial and Underground Distribution system construction methods, procedures, work practices and techniques is an asset.
- Experience in project management of complex utility construction projects with increasing responsibility is an asset.
- Experience in planning and executing new initiatives and design and construction of on-site Capital Engineering projects.
- Familiarity with Customer Connection Guide and EDTI’s Terms and Conditions for Connection and Access Service required.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and manage complex budgets and schedules relative to this area of responsibility.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a larger management team within a dynamic environment.
- Ability to develop, nurture and manage customer relationships required.
- Strong communication skills explaining technical or complex issues in a clear and succinct way.
- Strong leadership and facilitation skills to advise and collaborate with diverse stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability showing strong decision making skills required.
- High level of competency with computer software. In particular: Microsoft Office, Ivara and other work Management tools such as MS Project.
Other important facts about this job
Hours of Work: 80 hours bi-weekly
Current EPCOR Employees please ensure that you are using your “@epcor.com” email address.
Learn more about Working at EPCOR!
Please note the following information:
- A requirement of working for EPCOR is that you are at least 18 years of age, successfully attained a high school diploma (GED, or equivalent level of secondary education) and legally entitled to work in Canada. (A copy of a valid work permit may be required.)
- If you are considered for the position, clearance on all applicable background checks (which may include criminal, identity, educational, and/or credit) and professional reference checks is required. Some EPCOR positions require an enhanced level of background assessment, which is dictated by law. These positions require advanced criminal record checks that must also be conducted from time to time after commencement of employment.
- A technical/practical assessment may be administered during the selection process and this exercise will be used as a part of the selection criterion.
- To meet the physical demands required of some positions, candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions. Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing may be required.