Project Engineer, Nuclear Manufacturing
City : Toronto, ON, CA, M9W 1M7
Category : See posting
Industry : Technology Services
Employer : Mattr
Mattr delivers advanced material technologies and complex manufacturing expertise. Through a portfolio of brands, we offer highly engineered solutions, technology and products to support infrastructure markets worldwide.
Shawflex is the Market Leader and a Trusted Brand in the Electrical Infrastructure industry with a wide variety of wire and cable solutions from common to custom. Our Business Model thrives on our Strong Channel Relationships and Entrepreneurial Culture where we champion in providing unique engineered-to-order product offerings to our customers.
The Project Engineer, Nuclear Manufacturing is responsible for delivering flawless, on-time operational execution of customer orders through effective coordination of all internal and external stakeholders. This role owns nuclear customer orders from initial order intake through to the final product(s)/service(s) delivery stage and works with an internal cross-functional team on all aspects of fulfilling the contractual obligations of such orders, with particular emphasis on critical manufacturing and quality processes. The Project Engineer establishes expertise with relevant wire and cable product constructions to support internal and external customers and represents Shawflex as a technical expert and point of contact with customer’ technical project teams – routinely providing production and qualification status updates for live orders (projects). Responsibilities also include operational continuous improvement campaigns, customer solution development, Sales and Marketing support, customer site visits as project liaison and key contributor to the standardization of Project Management execution.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
A) Project Management
- Chair recurring project update meetings with all internal stakeholders and maintain all internal documentation related to order execution
- Chair recurring project update meetings with external stakeholders (customers) and publish minutes for external distributions.
- Develop schedules and keep track of all aspects of project execution from PO receipt to delivery of goods (including detailed progress in manufacturing and qualification testing) for all assigned projects
- Keep up-to-date on customer needs and priorities
- Manage all scheduling of equipment, materials, external vendors, and human resources required for all assigned projects.
- Maintain a current list of project backlog and project delivery dates striving for 100% on time delivery
- Participate and develop expertise in the creation of project management related documentation such as Concession Applications, Inspection and Test Plans and others
- Identify project risks and take appropriate actions to minimize potential delays, cost overruns or quality issues
- Work with Operations, Quality and Process Engineering teams to ensure detailed documentation is generated and available for critical manufacturing production runs
- Supervise and troubleshoot key nuclear production runs, hands-on approach with presence on production lines (extrusion, jacketing, cabling, testing, etc)
- Generate and participate in process improvement and standardization initiatives
- Act as project single point of contact for external and internal stakeholders and develop understanding of unique customer requirements and processes
- Provide guidance based on understanding of critical quality standards (ISO, CSA N299) and related customer specifications
- Support Sales and Product Engineering in developing project proposals by completing travelers, creating schedules, gathering pricing for outside services, identifying non-standard requirements and other activities as required
- Support Technology team in new product releases and new process implementations
- Keep up-to-date on material and product technologies.
B) Project Management Office (PMO) continuous improvement:
- Report active project status in a clear and concise manner through written and oral communication and ensure that Monthly Reports are completed within one week of month end.
- Implement best Project Management practices
- Work to continuously improve internal processes associated with project delivery
- Contribute to continuous standardization, digitization, and efficiency gains of project execution
C) Product Engineering:
- Develop a working knowledge of run to order products, including shop order knowledge, IFS modifications, and general run to order administration items.
- Participate and develop expertise in engineered to order products, including qualification and testing, reporting, and engineering trials
- Support the Sales and Marketing team to ensure all technical related inquiries are organized and dealt with in a timely manner on assigned projects
- Develop understanding of standard Shawflex product lines and related standards
- Understand and utilize relevant internal processes as required for product engineering activities (ie. ECR, EWO, etc.)
COMPLEXITY & JUDGEMENT:
A) TYPES OF PROBLEMS:
Daily/Weekly: Managing logistical and technical aspects of complex projects to successfully deliver as promised to our customers. Mitigating cost and quality risks and providing the necessary support to other team members to execute on commitments. Setting up process requirements and validating performance of designed solutions often on restricted timelines. Troubleshooting issues arising during live production runs, offering solutions based on experience and coordination with supporting teams under high pressure and time constraint. Making decisions regarding continuation or halting of production runs.
Projects require interaction with Sales & Marketing, Customers, NPD Resources, Accounting, Quality and Operations Staff as required to champion projects to completion. Problems need to be addressed in a rational and systematic manner on the spot and under high pressure. Test methods need to be understood and evaluated for new and old products. Standard methodology needs to be developed or updated to continuously improve execution of customer orders. Solutions to encountered challenges may be non-standard, new or not yet specified requiring critical, creative and empirical thinking. Will be in direct contact with client’s key decision makers and therefore must represent Shawflex with a high degree of technical competency and professionalism.
C) DECISIONS & RECOMMENDATIONS:
Plan and execute assigned tasks and projects to agreed timelines. Conduct analysis of project progress, resource allocation, technical requirements and develop plan for execution on desired timelines. Summarize and report data, conclusions, recommend further activities and escalate issues when necessary. Provide technical support to Sales & Marketing. Provide technical and logistical support and decide on course of action related to resolving roadblocks.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical, Chemical, Materials, Mechanical, or Physical Science (Chemistry or Physics) preferred
- Minimum 3 to 5 years experience in a manufacturing environment
- Excellent technical communication skills
- Comfortable in plant/shop floor settings directing/coordinating technical teams
- Ability to take control and do ‘whatever it takes’ to meet tight deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to management multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to create detailed Project plans, track status and deliver plans on time and on budget (Microsoft Project and Excel fluency)
- Knowledgeable of Project Management best practices/tools
- Commercial/business acumen considered an asset when speaking with technical decision makers on customer side
- Cable design & manufacturing experience (or industrial product manufacturing experience)
- Knowledge of ISO CSA N299 QA/QC systems and controls
- Knowledgeable of Enterprise Resource Planning tools
- Ability to understand/interpret engineering specifications/drawings
- Professional Engineer Status (not required)
WHAT MATTR OFFERS
• At Mattr, safety comes first! We go the extra mile to ensure our employees are safe and healthy
• We understand times have changed and so have we. Mattr offers flexible work arrangements (where possible) to suit your needs
• Comprehensive total rewards package that includes competitive salaries, annual incentives, medical benefits, retirement savings plans, paid vacation days, education assistance programs, corporate discounts and more!
• Participation in service milestone awards and recognition opportunities
• Access to mental health support resources such as our Headversity mental health and wellness platform and free, confidential access to our Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
• Rewarding growth opportunities (may include global career and travel opportunities) supported by personalized training, development and mentoring programs
• Commitment to providing a diverse, inclusive and accessible workplace environment
• We prioritize our Environment, Social and Governance (ESG) values and offer a paid Volunteer Time Off Program, allowing employees an opportunity to support charitable organizations in their communities
• Company events, social gatherings and team building activities that promote fun!
• We’re working to create a better world. Join us!
Mattr delivers advanced material technologies and complex manufacturing expertise through brands offering engineered products, technology and solutions to support infrastructure projects & markets world-wide. Mattr brands: Shawflex, DSG-Canusa, Flexpipe, Xerxes and Shawcor.
At Mattr, we have built a true team environment where all employees are empowered to contribute to the success of the company. We want you to join our team!
We thank all applicants for their interest; however we cannot accept telephone calls regarding this position. All recruiting activities are managed via our Recruitment Management System and you must apply via the link below or the posting on our career page at https://careers.mattr.com/ to be considered for this opportunity.