Project Engineer – Intermediate
City : Ottawa, ON
Category : Z-WSP E&I Canada Ltd.
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
EASTERN ONTARIO, OTTAWA, CHALK RIVER And PORT HOPE
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms – made stronger with the recent creation of WSP E&I Canada Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of WSP Canada Inc.
We have over 63,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000 people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
WSP E&I is seeking an Intermediate Project Engineer to support a growing program in Eastern Ontario.
The position is a full-time permanent position for a self-motivated, energetic, and organized individual to support day-to-day operations related to technical support, design deliverables, clarifications, interfacing on technical issues, and other duties as assigned.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- As a key member of the General Contractor’s Construction team, the candidate would ensure project technical / design / engineering activities are performed to a high standard during all phases of the project life cycle.
- Primary Technical interface with technical leads from other project participants (Client, Engineer of Record, Subcontractors, Suppliers, Vendors, Third Parties).
- Support and prepare planning and technical deliverables for the construction of nuclear facilities and infrastructure.
- Review and analyze specifications, drawings, supporting reports and other documentation in support of construction execution scope and clarification.
- Generate Requests for Information (RFIs) to the Client/Engineer of Record on scope elements related to construction package. Lead the response and closure of associated RFI’s.
- Respond to and manage RFIs sent from self-perform labor force and supply chain (subcontractors, suppliers, and vendors) in a compliant, expedient manner.
- Review, organize, and track submittal packages from the supply chain (including cut sheets, shop drawings, material selections) and submit them for review to the client. Ensure that approved submittals are coordinated with the relevant supply chain parties in a timely manner.
- Lead the technical administration of submittals (with reviews, obtaining proper seals/stamps, ensuring compliance to specification needs etc.) subcontractor and/or supplier submittals between Wood and the Engineer of Record.
- Coordinate design packages for various scopes of work with technical personnel from multiple organizations, in accordance with prescribed requirements and quality standards.
- Oversight and tracking of supplier/vendor fabrication, delivery, receipt, handling, storage, and construction of the designed items.
- Work with the integrated construction execution team (e.g., Construction Superintendents, Health, and Safety, Environmental, Quality Assurance/Control, Procurement, Project Management) on a daily basis to ensure maximum productivity and compliance of activities, while optimizing field activities through value engineering and technical input.
- Assessment of potential value engineering solutions that improve safety, reduces schedule and complexity of the work.
- Participate in routine progress meetings with Client, Engineer of Record, Wood internal technical team-members and supply chain as necessary.
- Preparation of field reports and documentation.
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- Degree Civil/Environmental Engineering from an institution recognized by PEO (will consider other disciplines for the right candidate).
- Minimum 6-9 years of related experience within the construction industry.
- Experience in heavy civil environment.
- Experience with landfills and Wastewater Treatment plants is considered as asset.
- Experience with ISO/N299 Quality programs.
- Strong knowledge/experience of process engineering, mechanical, electrical, and associated interfaces.
- Registration or eligibility for P. Eng. License with the PEO considered an asset.
- Demonstrated professional judgment, consistency, team-attitude and attention to detail, track record of quality work products.
- Excellent interpersonal, planning, organizing, judgement, problem solving, conflict resolution, decision-making and communications skills are essential.
- Ability to handle large workload and make timely decisions.
- Ability to work outdoors at construction sites, occasionally in challenging weather.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; experience preparing reports that demonstrate technical knowledge.
- Strong personal safety culture.
- The successful candidate will be required to obtain Canadian Federal Security Clearance.
- We encourage all qualified applicants including Indigenous peoples, women, peoples with disabilities, and visible minorities to consider this opportunity.