Project & Business Development Manager (EPIC) – Special Project (May 2022 – May 2024)
City : Hamilton
Category : Full-Time Admin
Industry : Education
Employer : Mohawk College
Status: Special Project (May 2022 – May 2024)
Hours: Monday to Friday; 35 hours/week
Pay Band: 10
Rate of Pay: $77,520 - $96,900
Posting Date: April 25th, 2022
Closing Date: June 3rd, 2022 at 7:00pm EST
The Project & Business Development Manager - EPIC plays a key role in reaching the objectives of the Energy and Power Innovation Centre (EPIC). The incumbent will be responsible for leading the Centre’s business development strategic plan, outreach and dissemination activities, funding proposals and quote preparation and submission activities. The role requires the close collaboration with the Centre’s technical team and external stakeholders to relate industry trends with the technical services provided by the Centre. Furthermore, the role will work closely with the EPIC team to provide project management expertise and resource planning.
As part of the Applied Research (IDEAWORKS) department, EPIC provides expertise and facilities to support Canadian companies with their operational challenges with a particular focus on energy and resource management. The Centre also supports utilities and electrical companies with developing new solutions, as well as training in state-of-the-art facilities. The Centre has four focus areas including power systems, motors and variable frequency drives, information systems, and cybersecurity; aimed to provide services in such areas to large, Small & Medium Enterprises (SMEs), as well as electrical utilities. Based on the focus areas, the Centre works in industry projects in the electrical, energy, manufacturing, information technology, and food & beverage sectors. The incumbent will lead the business development efforts across the four focus areas and industry sectors; as well as support resource planning and project management for on-going efforts.
The Project & Business Development Manager - EPIC will be responsible for creating a plan to provide a robust project pipeline considering college’s applied research aspects, such as but not limited to, industry trends, funding proposals timelines, EPIC’s technical capacity and project throughput, student involvement, and industry partners’ requirements. In addition, the incumbent will be responsible for creating a marketing and dissemination plan and conduct related tasks. The will also oversee and balance upcoming projects with existing resources.
The duties of this position will include, but are not limited to the following:
Business Development Strategy
- In collaboration with the General Manager, the incumbent will lead the creation and update of the Centre’s business development strategy considering the existing technical focus areas, available resources, external stakeholders’ feedback, and industry trends.
- In collaboration with the General Manager, review revenue sources and proposal plan to accommodate the plans and resources for each of the strategic focus areas.
Proposal and Fee for Service (FFS) quotes preparation
- Meet with external project stakeholders including the Centre’s technical staff, customers, collaborators, and/or project funders to define project requirements and required resources.
- Lead the preparation of Statements of Work (SoW) for FFS projects, as well as the preparation of government funding proposals typically between $50k to $1M. As well as, coordinate related tasks with IDEAWORKS funding proposals manager.
- Streamline the SoW and quote preparation process.
- Reach out to existing and potential partners to identify opportunity areas. Attend and present at relevant industry events and conferences (virtual/in-person) to identify partners and inform the business development strategy and Centre services.
- Participate in key project meetings in the early and late stages of the projects’ life cycle to ensure the project plan aligns with the defined deliverables and timelines, as well as identify and lead further business development, dissemination, and marketing opportunities with industry partners.
- Continuous interaction with the internal team to support project management and identify upcoming resources needs.
Marketing & Dissemination
- Create a continuing marketing and dissemination plan based on the business development strategy, on-going Centre projects, and external events importance and timing.
- Lead the preparation and publication of dissemination material (e.g., social media posts, case studies, white papers, etc.).
- Edit technical dissemination material including conference papers and presentations.
- Coordinate related activities with Mohawk College and IDEAWORKS business development and marketing departments to increase the impact and dissemination of the Centre’s activities.
The successful applicant must have:
- Minimum of 4-year degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, or business.
- A post graduate degree in business or engineering is preferred, but not required.
- Additional certification in sales, marketing, and/or project management is an asset.
- A minimum of 5 years of combined working experience in engineering, business development, proposal writing, and/or project management.
- Experience scoping engineering or, applied research projects preferred.
- Technical proficiency in energy systems, power distribution systems and/or data analytics.
- Previous experience in team management is preferred.
- Effective management skills including excellent human relations skills, good computer skills, conflict resolution skills, and understanding of research protocols and processes are needed.
- High written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights, equity, diversity and inclusion with the ability to communicate and work effectively inter-culturally with diverse groups of students, employees and the community.
Mohawk College is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the HR Department at (905) 575-2047.
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons/persons of colour, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.