Project Accountant – NSDF Project
City : Chalk River, ON
Category : Z-WSP E&I Canada Ltd.
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
CHALK RIVER, ONTARIO
WSP E&I is seeking a Project Accountant to support our growing Remediation Business.
This opportunity is to join the WSP team responsible for the execution of the Near Surface Disposal (NSDF) Project in Chalk River. The NSDF project, following regulatory approval, represents a 5-year build of the low-level waste repository in Chalk River, with an estimated capital cost of more than $500M.
Please note: this opportunity is based at the project location in Chalk River, Ontario.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- Ensure adherence to professional accounting standards, including revenue recognition and accruals.
- Ensure adherence to government, Provincial regulations, and taxes to ensure compliance at the Project and branch/business unit level and consults with Tax department as required.
- Review contract terms and conditions in relation to project setup, billing requirements, costing, tax compliance, and labor standards/rates to ensure compliance in accounting system.
- Ensure accounting entries are prepared and reported accurately and in accordance with corporate deadlines.
- Ensure financial results are accurately reported and analyzed.
- Alignment of revenue and cost and analysis of margins to manage profitability.
- Preparation of financial plans and re-forecasts as required.
- Ensure client invoices are prepared in a timely manner and in accordance with the commercial terms of the contract.
- Responsible for weekly/daily AR reports and collections and engages operations for resolutions of disputes and timely collection of outstanding balances.
- Interface with Material Subcontractor project accountant, review of Material Subcontractor invoices to ensure alignment with client invoicing requirements.
- Focus on cash collection, optimization of DSO and minimization of unbilled items together with ensuring these balance sheet areas are appropriately reconciled, analyzed, and controlled.
- Coordinate project accounts payable, including monitoring and ensuring vendors and subcontractor invoices are booked, or accrued, and paid timely.
- Compliance with Financial Management Framework as required.
- Liaising with external, internal and client auditors.
- Work closely with PM’s, office managers and administrators to process accounting needs of projects and communicate changes that may impact their work.
- Provide internal assistance, including training, and financial analysis to operational and financial management where needed.
- Assist with the development and implementation of processes, procedures, and/or systems.
- Ensure record retention guidelines are followed.
- Ensure quality and efficiency by establishing and enforcing consistent controls and procedures.
- Lead the development and implementation of new initiatives to improve invoicing processes.
- Various financial reporting / analysis and related commercial / financial tasks as required.
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- Minimum 5 years’ project accounting experience.
- Strong understanding of Project Accounting principles and practices.
- Strong technical accounting proficiency in billing and cost accounting.
- Ability to identify issues, analyze data and develop solutions to a variety of complex problems.
- Project controls / cost reporting experience.
- Strong commercial knowledge and awareness.
- Strong systems experience; proficient user of Excel and MS Office Suite.
- Experience working on-site on major construction projects.