Program Support Officer
City : Hamilton
Category : Full-Time Support
Industry : Education
Employer : Mohawk College
Status: Full Time
Hours: Monday to Friday; 35 hours/week
Pay Band: E
Rate of Pay: $26.47
Posting Date: May 18th, 2023
Closing Date: May 25th, 2023 at 7:00pm EST
Please be advised that according to Full Time Support Staff Collective Agreement, Article 17.1, preference will be given to qualified employees within the Full Time Support Staff bargaining unit, Appendix D (in the role for 6 consecutive months) and RPT employees who have passed probation at Mohawk College. Should a suitable candidate not be found, external candidates will be considered.
We support and encourage the contributions of our diverse employees. Supported by a new strategic plan we are committed to nurturing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for everyone who learns and works at Mohawk. We believe the rich diversity among our students and the communities we serve should be reflected within our workforce. As educators we believe it is important to act and show leadership in advancing the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion in our community.
Mohawk College is currently recruiting for our next
Program Support Officer
This position provides front-line administrative support to all programs and service courses within the School of Health and Community Services.
The incumbent provides customer service to students, faculty, support staff, Advisory Committee members, and general public inquiries. The incumbent must be able to function at a level that requires independent problem-solving and decision-making skills in the execution of the various and complex activities and issues.
The duties of this position will include, but are not limited to the following:
Provides Administrative support to academic areas within the School of Health and Community Services
- Provide customer service to students, faculty, support staff, Advisory Committee members, and general public inquiries.
- Provide information and general advice to students, support staff and faculty regarding college procedures, office procedures, exemptions, appeals, academic dates and referring to services offered through Mohawk College
- Posting class cancellation notices when faculty are off due to illness
- Providing course outlines requested by former students or other institutions through electronic mail and in person, as requested
- Liaises between faculty and students, providing front line service in order to handle inquiries from students
- Book rooms on behalf of any departmental staff member – spot bookings/specialty lab bookings (approving specialty lab requests as required)
- Answer and forward departmental emails including but not limited to credit transfer emails
- Assist faculty with any classroom concerns by triaging and reaching out to college departments for a remedy on staff’s behalf
- Booking/signing out AV equipment – following up with requester if item is not returned
- Provide front line triage support and support SSA/SSC especially during peak periods of promotion and semester start
- Use internal software programs, Banner, FAST Suite, Virtual DCT, Academic Reporting Tool, COMMS, EOIS
- Arranging guest parking, guest speaker letters, rooms etc. for department staff
- Assists with orientating new staff - access to classes/offices/setting up computer/printer/troubleshooting and guiding to other staff members if question is outside scope (payroll/timesheets/eLearn)
- Composing, typing and filing, internal and external correspondence as directed by Manager, Dean, Associate Dean, or Assistant to Associate Dean
- Organizes, prepares and revises academic related information for distribution
- Distribution of incomplete profiles, grade change forms, and other departmental forms while maintaining the confidentially of individual student records, personal student and faculty information and financial information for the department
- Prepares and mails letters of academic offences according to college policies
- Ensures student appeals are processed in accordance with policy directives
- Reviews, verifies, and sends Dean’s Honour lists, graduation lists, and any other registrar functions for signature and mailing
- Assists faculty with departmental textbook orders, custom courseware and obtaining desk copies from publishers
- Produces and edits manuals for the department under direction of supervisor
- Provides feedback and possible solutions to the Operations Manager and Associate Dean regarding refining work methods and techniques to improve accuracy and efficiency within the department and maintaining a high level of customer service
- Gather quotes for academic related experiential learning on behalf of staff and faculty
- Process any supplemental department offerings/certificates – i.e. security licensing, private investigator licensing
- Compiles and organizes necessary data on behalf of the Operations Manager and/or Associate Dean for special projects, funding proposals, research, newsletters etc.
- Assisting students with registering and adding/dropping courses within the first 10 days of each semester
- Organization – gather invigilator requirements for department, use current list of staff, determine if more staff are needed and loop in Operations Manager, support with timesheet entry
- Organizes all aspects of departmental meetings, such as program advisory committee, faculty, coordinator, staff etc. including taking and distributing of minutes where required and related correspondence, and updating membership lists
- Reviews website to ensure content is current – recommends new changes and updates website in a timely manner or escalates to Marketing to be updated
- Assist faculty with activities associated with start-up each semester
- Support special events, such as Open House, Program & Career Launch - Day 1
General Office Duties
- Orders and ensure stock of office supplies for support and faculty as well as academic forms (i.e. grade changes, incompletes, scantrons, foolscap etc.) maintaining appropriate levels of office supplies and ensuring all equipment is in working order
- Troubleshoots and arranges for maintenance and installation of departmental office equipment and photocopiers
- Distributes and retrieves mail and printing to any staff requested in the School once per day, or increased during high traffic times
- Ensure phone lists/contact sheets are kept up to date – request card access / keys for departmental staff / printer access
- Distributes mail to staff in the department
- Assists with CSEP applications, resumes and follow up paperwork
- Sends applicant packages and books interviews for new intakes of students in programs that use this as an admissions process
- Maintain and tidy departmental offices, shared spaces, hoteling, filing cabinets, surfaces
Other related duties as assigned.
The successful applicant will have:
- A minimum of two (2) year Post-Secondary Diploma in Business/Office Administration, or related field; equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of three (3) years of practical and related experience in an educational environment where there is a strong emphasis on interpersonal skill and customer service, preferably a post-secondary setting.
- Knowledge of Microsoft office products is essential, including Access, Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with Mohawk College programs is desirable; including, MyMohawk mail and groups, Fast Suite, ART, SCT Banner.
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights, equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace. This would include experience communicating and working effectively with diverse clients and colleagues.
Mohawk College prioritizes recruiting and retaining diverse employees. With this in mind, the College is committed to fostering inclusive and barrier-free recruitment and selection processes.
Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (905) 575 - 2047.
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, S2LGBTQIA+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
For more information concerning the Mohawk College strategic plan, please see: strategicplan.mohawkcollege.ca/