Professor, Part Time – Industrial Maintenance Mechanic
City : Stoney Creek
Category : Full-Time Academic
Industry : Education
Employer : Mohawk College
Status: Part Time
Hours: Monday to Friday; between 8:00am to 10:00pm
Campus: Stoney Creek
Rate of Pay: Commensurate upon qualifications and experience
Pay band: Not applicable
Posting Date: October 30th, 2019
Closing Date: November 5th, 2019 at 7:00pm EST
The Department of Industrial & Motive Power in the School of Trades & Apprenticeship requires a part-time Professor to teach in any number of courses and programs in the Mechanical apprenticeship & post-secondary areas, at both the senior and junior level, including but not limited to, the Mechanical Millwright Program.
Under the direction of the Associate Dean, Professors in this department are responsible for providing academic leadership and for developing an effective learning environment.
The duties of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Teaching the theory and practical application components.
- Creating a positive and innovative student-centered learning environment in both the classroom and laboratory settings.
- Using a variety of teaching strategies most appropriate for the curriculum for both postsecondary and apprentices.
- Using a variety of techniques to evaluate student achievement of learning outcomes.
- Managing the educational environment to facilitate an optimal learning experience and student success.
- Evaluating, revising and developing learning resources within the program.
- Enhancing educational delivery and experiences through the use of technology to facilitate student learning.
- Applying college values and philosophy in work activities and interaction with others.
- Using the college’s eLearning system to present curriculum, testing and online activities.
The successful applicant must have:
- A Certificate of Qualification as an Industrial Mechanic Millwright (IMM).
- A minimum of five years’ experience as a Certified Tradesperson.
- Related teaching experience.
- Adult education teaching certificate - preferred not required.
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights, equity, diversity and inclusion with the ability to communicate and work effectively inter-culturally with diverse groups of students, employees and the community.
He/she should be familiar with aspects of the IMM &/or Machining trades including:
- Fluid Power
- Machine Technologies
- Electronic and Electrical Theory
- Workshop technologies
- Drawings and schematics
- Operation of machine shop equipment
- CNC machining equipment and MasterCam software
The department needs at this time give preference to candidates with extensive experience with Machine Technologies, Workshop Technologies, and Electronic and Electrical Theory.
The successful candidate must have an ability to relate theoretical knowledge and practical applications through innovative delivery methods so as to provide a meaningful learning environment for students of diverse backgrounds and ages. The ability to work as part of a team and demonstration of excellent interpersonal and communication skills are essential.
Faculty members hired at Mohawk College must be prepared to teach with a learner-centered approach and to assist in the development and application of alternate delivery methods. He/she may be assigned to teach classes at any College Campus and may be scheduled to teach between 8:00am and 10:00pm, Monday to Friday.
Mohawk College is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. If you are contacted regarding an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources (or the hiring manager) if you require an accommodation.
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons/persons of colour, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.