City : Toronto
Category : Talent Recruitment
Industry : Education
Employer : Seneca
Reporting to the Chair of the School of Software Design and Data Science, the professor is responsible for developing, preparing, and delivering courses within the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering Technology (FASET) ensuring an effective and compelling learning environment for students.
Responsible for teaching course(s) in at Graduate Certificate, Diploma and Degree level, in the School of Software Design and Data Science
Under the direction of the senior academic officer of the College or designate, the Professor is responsible for:
- Ensuring student awareness of course objectives, approach, and evaluation techniques.
- Incorporating active learning strategies in online, hybrid, flexible, and in-person classes.
- Implementing appropriate educational technology and tools in online, hybrid, flexible, and in-person classes.
- Carrying out regularly scheduled instruction, which may include tutoring and academic counselling of students.
- Providing a learning environment that makes effective use of available resources, work experience and field trips.
- Ensuring an equitable and accessible learning community.
- Designing formative and summative assessments (alternative and authentic).
- Evaluating student progress/achievement and assuming responsibility for the overall assessment of the student's work within assigned courses.
Course and Curriculum Development:
- Consulting with program and course directors and other faculty members, advisory committees, accrediting agencies, potential employers and students.
- Defining course objectives and evaluating and validating these objectives.
- Specifying or approving learning approaches, necessary resources, etc.
- Developing individualized instruction and multi-media presentations where applicable.
- Selecting or approving textbooks and learning materials.
- Providing guidance to Instructors relative to the instructors’ teaching assignments.
- Participating in the work of curriculum and other consultative committees as requested.
- Lead academic activities such as applied research.
- Contribute to other areas of activity ancillary to the academic programs of the school such as secondary school liaison and outreach.
- Minimum of a completed master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or closely related field. If education is in a related field, state how it is relevant.
- Red Hat certification preferred
- Minimum of one (1) year of teaching experience at the post-secondary level.
- Minimum five (5) years of industry experience in information technology.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in:
- Bash Shell scripting
- Windows (both graphical and command-line)
- Demonstrated research skills with industry connections.
- Excellent presentation, communication, and human relation skills to interact effectively with the College’s multi-cultural/racial/able staff and student population is required, as is an understanding of and commitment to equity in education.
- Commitment to a team approach for problem solving and conflict resolution.
Note: A teaching demonstration will be required during the recruitment process.