Production Supervisor – Weekend Shift 1
City : Edmonton, AB, CA, T6B 2Z6
Category : Production and Manufacturing
Industry : Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction
Employer : Shawcor
Why Choose Shawcor? We offer:
A challenging career with on-the-job training & development opportunities
- Attractive salary depending on experience, and paid time off (vacation, sick time, leaves, etc.)
- Eligible for Overtime Pay and Incentive Plan of 10%
Group (Medical & Dental) benefits and Wellness programs
Group Defined Contribution Pension plan
A quarterly performance bonus and a generous employee referral bonus program
Company provided personal protective equipment (PPE) required for the job
Strong commitment to safety in the workplace
Reporting to the Production Manager, the Production Supervisor is responsible for the management of shift personal to ensure product is being produced to quality standards while ensuring a safe work environment. This position supervises many direct reports as they oversee a shift on the production floor (15 – 30 employees) in the molding, assembly, accessories, final testing, and special molding department. Using a mix of quality, HSE, and Operation metrics the Production Supervisor will ensure to build a high-quality product, as well as coordinate and implement Company safety programs and safety policies.
Production Management & Supervision
Manages production through understanding of procedures, processes, equipment and product
- Supervise and plan production of underground molding, assembly, accessories, and final testing for assigned shift
- Set priorities and facilitate production for parts within UST molding, assembly and testing
- Follow product variations to ensure availability of raw materials and equipment such as glass, resin, hardware and buy-outs.
- Work closely with lead persons and employees. Notify management of problems or potential problems with production, maintenance, and material and product quality.
- Coordinate and implement programs and policies as directed by Corporate Management and Plant Manager/Production Manager
- Inspect work in process and finished goods to maintain quality standards and correct problems prior to Quality Control Inspection.
- Ensure accurate and complete collection of production documentation and data
- Conduct daily DMP meetings and weekly ‘toolbox’ meetings
- Complete and submit all required reports, including material requisition requests for day work assignments, material usage and inventory, Molding and Assembly Departmental reports and other reports as required
- Manages employees by checking product to maintain a high standard of quality and quantity. Ensure compliance of technical procedures.
- Promote, manage, and actively participate in the implementation of Shawcor Manufacturing System (SMS) programs.
- Support the development and implementation of SOP and HAA’s throughout the manufacturing facility
- Help facilitate and carry out manufacturing improvement projects and trials for development of new products or improvements of current products
- Involved in VSM’s, FMEA’s, Fishbone diagrams as they relate to production
- Troubleshoot production issues as they arise and assist multiple departments
People Management & Supervision
- Manages a diverse team including Lead Hands, Assemblers, Molders, Grinders, and Quality Controllers to meet business objectives
- Ensures effective employee relations by providing employee coaching and development. Manages employee issues through conflict resolution
- Manages plant priorities and performance measures. Provides regular progress to manager
- Creates a culture of accountable performance through collaboration in a fun and safe environment
- Assign workload to meet production demands by planning daily and weekly work schedules
- Work closely with lead persons and notify management of problems or potential problems with employees
- Lead and communicate important information and regular updates to department team at daily DMP meetings, biweekly town hall meetings and one on one follow up
- Conducts monthly meeting with Lead Hands to go over monthly goals and areas of focus based on production demands, KPI’s and organizational needs
- Participate in the interviewing and hiring process of potential employees as required.
- Oversee the training of job functions and procedures for new and existing personnel within assigned department
- Make recommendations, support, and participate in employee performance evaluations, disciplinary action and termination decisions with the Plant/Production Manager and the HR Department
- Approve/process employee change through SuccessFactors and Dayforce as needed
- Issue disciplinary notices to employees who fail to meet Company policy guidelines and/or performance and safety standards
- Complete and deliver performance evaluations and provide input regarding compensation
- Preparing and submit justification for employee promotions
- Manages the Lead Hands and production workers on the manufacturing floor to ensure job orders and all corresponding paperwork are completed in accordance with the production schedule
- Verify and review employee timecards for accuracy on a daily basis and submit to personnel
- Responsible for maintaining and promoting safe working habits and maintain good housekeeping 5S to ensure a safe and clean working environment for all employees.
- Ensure that all incidents are reported immediately and that complete written reports are prepared as required.
- Monitor hazardous waste storage and disposal, including proper labelling, on a regular basis.
- Provide training as required in the safe usage of equipment as well as safe work practices and procedures.
- Participate in the Joint Health & Safety Committee
- Conduct Active Safety Acknowledgment conversations with employees to spread safety message
- Conduct and/or support safety investigations for incidents that occur under supervised area
- Assign and complete corrective actions as they are generated from Workplace inspections, safety incidents, or any other reporting system.
- Review incidents with team members at DMP
- Help facilitate the safety corner
- Train employees on use of incident reporting database
SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Grade 12 diploma is required
- Minimum 3 years supervisory experience
- Direct experience in a fiberglass reinforced plastic manufacturing facility or similar facility is preferred
- Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Strong production management and quality manufacturing skills
- Proficient in training, developing, and motivating employees
- Basic computer skills, including Microsoft office (Outlook & Excel) and ERP
- Ability to evaluate personnel issues and determine amount of supervision necessary for employees within the department
- Good understanding of the English language including verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to lead people and get results through others
- Ability to read and follow blueprints and drawings
- Ability to work effectively with others and be part of a dynamic team
- Ability to learn new tools, equipment, and material used in above ground and underground storage tank manufacturing and assembly
- Ability to solve mathematical problems related to position
- Experience in a Lean manufacturing environment / with Lean principles is an asset