Production Supervisor, Pipe – Ship Repair
City : Halifax
Category : Production & Skilled Trades
Industry : Transportation equipment manufacturing
Employer : J.D. Irving
PRODUCTION SUPERVISOR, PIPE – SHIP REPAIR
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A 4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding is proud to be Canada’s National Shipbuilder. Over the next 30 years, our shipbuilders will construct 20+ modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of the largest defence procurement project in Canadian history.
We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on these vessels. We are committed to building the best ships, with the best workforce in the best facilities. By joining our team of more than 2,300 shipbuilders, you can enjoy a dynamic, diverse, and family-friendly career with a company dedicated to your success, learning, health, wellness, and safety.
At Irving Shipbuilding, we’re making history – why not make it with us? Learn more about careers at Irving Shipbuilding: shipsforcanada.ca/opportunities.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Production Supervisor, Pipe.
The Production Supervisor Pipe will lead and direct multi-disciplinary productions/operations crews. They need to be able to manage the activities of a large crew of 12-15 skilled trades people alongside hundreds of other skilled trades in a safe and efficient manner. Production Supervisors must be able to lead crews in the Shipyard but also in the naval dockyard, embedded with the client. The supervisor’s work is underpinned on change management and the ability to find growth work quickly and be part of the solution, which is directly linked to customer value and company revenue. Each Production Supervisor is responsible to deliver aggressive production throughput targets each week. Production Supervisors will be responsible for meeting Production schedule requirements. They will be responsible for the safety of their crew and quality of the output of work. The Production Supervisor will assume full accountability for their area. The Production Supervisor will develop the team’s competency as part of continuous improvement efforts.
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the 2SLGBTQ+ community. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. (ISI) encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. ISI is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued. ISI is committed to working towards a barrier-free workplace and to expanding the accessibility of the workplace to persons with disabilities. Candidates who require accommodation during the selection process are invited to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Post-secondary education in a related field.
- Red seal Steamfitter/ Pipefitter.
- 5+ years of supervisory experience, with at least 2 years being in a Production environment – Ship building, and Ship Repair is preferred.
- 6+ years of applicable trade experience in shipbuilding, defence, manufacturing or a similar environment.
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Production activity.
- Safety – Drive the safety culture and ensure procedures are followed and that no work commences without a DPS and Safe Start.
- Participate in daily Production meetings to present and discuss information regarding job status and schedule progress.
- Monitoring of Operations to ensure that priorities are maintained, and deliverables are met.
- Support the execution of work across multiple trades: rigging, welding, fitting, outfitting, HVAC, mechanical and electrical.
- Accountable for quality of Production documentation that is submitted to Document Control for archiving.
- Assist the team with issue resolution and priority definition.
- Report generation, development, and presentation.
- Provide input on the overall build and repair strategy, influence the direction of the strategies to ensure that they satisfy milestone requirements.
- Update production and schedule metrics on communications boards.
- Achieve results.
- Exceeds objectives.
- Sets commitments and always follows through on them; goes beyond “just getting it done”.
- Proactively anticipates / manages risks and unexpected problems to consistently deliver results.
- Improves business practices; upholds organizational values and encourages others to do the same.
- Drive improvement.
- Consistently seeks best practices, generates ideas, and implements solutions that make things better.
- Consistently demonstrates innovation to “find a better way every day.”
- Implements change initiatives and effectively influences others to drive commitment.
- Anticipates and measures the effectiveness of changes initiatives; has plans in place to deliver business results.
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs
- RRSP matching program
- Health & Wellness reimbursements
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development.
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies
- Relocation costs (if eligible)
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as ‘Safety Sensitive’ where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Talent Acquisition at email@example.com.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.