Product Development Specialist
City : Toronto, ON, CA, M9W 1M7
Category : See posting
Industry : Technology Services
Employer : Mattr
Mattr delivers advanced material technologies and complex manufacturing expertise. Through a portfolio of brands, we offer highly engineered solutions, technology and products to support infrastructure markets worldwide.
Shawflex is the Market Leader and a Trusted Brand in the Electrical Infrastructure industry with a wide variety of wire and cable solutions from common to custom. Our Business Model thrives on our Strong Channel Relationships and Entrepreneurial Culture where we champion in providing unique engineered-to-order product offerings to our customers.
The Product Development Specialist, Grade 3 - Nuclear, provides independent product design and development planning, oversight and execution within the framework of; industry regulatory requirements, Shawflex Quality Management System, Mattr strategic business plan and commercial objectives.
They are responsible for the development of Nuclear wire and cable products technologies from concept to commercial scale in conformance with our development processes and other quality system requirements under ISO9001 and CSA N299. Projects will consist of substantial customer facing product and materials technology platform development programs. Product design and development oversight includes the areas of; material technology, product testing and qualification, supply chain evaluation, adherence to internal and external regulatory requirements, internal and external stakeholder reporting, budgetary management and reporting.
They are also responsible for supporting ongoing continuous improvement and root cause analysis for Shawflex Nuclear products portfolio as the Nuclear materials technology expert. The employee is expected to leverage highly developed technical engineering skills such as front-end engineering product design, product application engineering, technical document writing, customer interaction, project planning, cost/benefit analysis, vendor management, detailed engineering design, execution/physical implementation, and general work prioritization.
- Act as Nuclear materials technology technical expert.
- Independently lead, plan, and execute complex nuclear product and material technology development programs from concept to commercial launch in accordance with international industry regulatory requirements, strategic commercial targets, Shawflex QMS and HSE targets. This includes being responsible for delivering new products at desired cost, performance and quality levels and coordinating transition from developmental to full-scale production on-time and on-budget.
- Independently design, plan, conduct and supervise lab and plant trials related to development projects using appropriate analytical methodologies.
- Independently analyze test data and validate production processes.
- Investigate and evaluate new and/or alternative raw materials
- Conduct technical feasibility studies as required.
- Propose, initiate, plan and conduct R&D work for new prospective technologies suitable to meet Shawflex’s growth plans.
- Participate in cost reduction and continuous improvement projects as required
- Provide technical service leadership for new nuclear product introductions and to requesting departments as required.
- Coordinate with external consultants and service providers to deliver sub-scopes of work.
- Complete polymer formulation design of experiment to optimize material performance properties based on design inputs.
- Lead stakeholder update meetings as required.
- Coordinate technical development staff as technical program senior team member (comprising of junior development engineer, lab technician and project coordinator)
- Provide mentorship and training for new and junior members of the group on an ongoing basis
- Ensure project/program governance and reporting is adhered to within the required regulatory and quality frameworks. A high degree of documentation accuracy, currency and detail is required at all times.
- Act as lead audit representative for Nuclear product design as required.
- Liaise with the regulatory bodies and their personnel.
- Liaise with customer technical staff.
- Participate in Standard Committee for assigned strategic market segment and visit key customers.
- Keep up-to-date on material and product technologies
- Review industry white papers and attend industry technical forums and seminars
- Coordinate, plan, troubleshoot and prioritize work for Lab Testing Technicians related to assigned projects and programs.
SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in an Engineering function in the materials supply chain for product applications in the nuclear industry.
- Polymer composite formulation experience is a benefit.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry or chemical Engineering
- MSc, MEng, Ph.D. in Chemical, Materials or Polymer related Engineering field and/or Nuclear Engineering
- Professional Engineer Status (desired)
- Extensive experience with polymeric materials design and qualification for use in safety critical Nuclear or other extreme environmental applications including knowledge relevant regulatory and product standards.
- Knowledge of QA/QC systems and controls (ISO 9001, N299)
- Knowledge of wire and cable manufacturing techniques
- Experience with delivering large materials technology platform developments with time constraints and complex interdependencies.
- Analytical interpretation of FTIR, DSC, TGA, DMA and other techniques is required.
- Self-driven, detail oriented and highly analytical mindset. Willing and able to uncover and bridge barriers to project progress even when outside of technical areas.
WHAT MATTR OFFERS
• At Mattr, safety comes first! We go the extra mile to ensure our employees are safe and healthy
• We understand times have changed and so have we. Mattr offers flexible work arrangements (where possible) to suit your needs
• Comprehensive total rewards package that includes competitive salaries, annual incentives, medical benefits, retirement savings plans, paid vacation days, education assistance programs, corporate discounts and more!
• Participation in service milestone awards and recognition opportunities
• Access to mental health support resources such as our Headversity mental health and wellness platform and free, confidential access to our Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
• Rewarding growth opportunities (may include global career and travel opportunities) supported by personalized training, development and mentoring programs
• Commitment to providing a diverse, inclusive and accessible workplace environment
• We prioritize our Environment, Social and Governance (ESG) values and offer a paid Volunteer Time Off Program, allowing employees an opportunity to support charitable organizations in their communities
• Company events, social gatherings and team building activities that promote fun!
• We’re working to create a better world. Join us!
Mattr delivers advanced material technologies and complex manufacturing expertise through brands offering engineered products, technology and solutions to support infrastructure projects & markets world-wide. Mattr brands: Shawflex, DSG-Canusa, Flexpipe, Xerxes and Shawcor.
At Mattr, we have built a true team environment where all employees are empowered to contribute to the success of the company. We want you to join our team!
We thank all applicants for their interest; however we cannot accept telephone calls regarding this position. All recruiting activities are managed via our Recruitment Management System and you must apply via the link below or the posting on our career page at https://careers.mattr.com/ to be considered for this opportunity.