Product Design Lead, Scotiabank
City : Toronto, ON, CA, M5A3X5
Category : Manager
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 183681
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
The Scotia Payments Journey is looking for a Product Design Lead.
Our mandate is to design secure, simple & inclusive value movement for our customers.
We’re looking for a seasoned designer and leader to join the team and bring their experience in payments and money movement to guide the design team and experience strategy for our exciting upcoming initiatives. Work with us to define the future of Payments at Scotia Digital and build experiences that will touch millions of customers every day.
Is this role right for you?
- You will be a player and a coach, with the responsibility of supporting the career development of a group between 2 and 6 Product Designers at different levels of experience across multiple products and journeys.
- You will manage the resourcing and capacity of your team. being responsible for advocating in favour of individual team members careers, as well as developing a cohesive team with a breadth of skills and experiences.
- You will collaborate with the Design Director and guide teams in understanding long term roadmap and key wins to help guide prioritization through performance reviews, 1-on-1 meetings, and performance and development discussions.
- You will understand our customers motivations and needs, encouraging teams to leverage rigorous design research and usability principles.
- You will consider customers interactions and journeys and act as an advocate for their constant improvement identifying and encouraging the utilization of inclusive design principles and implementation.
- You will anticipate problems, challenges, and opportunities to formulate comprehensive responses to difficult questions, driving decision making regarding change and growth.
- You will produce compelling visual deliverables to illustrate desired customer experiences and provide detailed specifications for software developers, as well as ensure that your team always maintain quality standards.
- You will partner and collaborate with key players across Scotia Digital including product management, engineering, analytics, as well as within the Design Community of Practice (Marketing, Research, Accessibility, Content, Service Design) to ensure that the group is aligned and engaged to deliver results supporting our business goals.
- You will leverage existing communication channels with key stakeholders across the Bank (both within and outside of Scotia Digital) to inform, build relationships, inspire confidence, and influence decisions.
- You will engage with developers and business and quality assurance analysts to understand platform capabilities, communicate design specifications, and verify implemented designs.
- You will demonstrate your leadership skills by supporting and communicating with your reports, partners, and executives frequently and efficiently.
- You will ensure that feedback about design engagements is obtained proactively to improve future design engagements and decisions.
Circle of influences
- You will champion the execution of the Bank’s leadership strategy and view development of self and others as a business priority.
- You will support and foster the growth of a thriving Design Community of Practice based on the principles of Inclusivity and collaboration.
- You will champion and communicate design best practices and guidelines to stakeholders throughout the organization, always advocating for design thinking and the implementation of our design system.
- You will be an enabler within our design community by encouraging teams to exchange feedback, ideas, and best practices with frequency.
Do you have the skills that will enable you to succeed in this role?
- 6+ years of professional experience designing responsive web and/or native mobile software applications, at least 2 of them coaching high-performance design teams in fast-paced organizations.
- A portfolio of work (professional and/or personal) which presents the story of projects you have worked on, examples of your problem-solving methods from low-fidelity sketches to detailed designs as well as your personal Design and Leadership principles.
- Be a player/coach, providing oversight to a small working team of between 2 and 6 product design practitioners on the execution of an end-to-end digital experience.
- A natural storyteller with the ability to craft and communicate compelling stories that add clarity and inspire passion in our mission. A strong facilitator, with a robust tool kit of techniques to communicate and collect ideas.
- Be accountable for people management and day-to-day Design operations and decisions in regards to information architecture, functionality, UX, usability, visual design content development and research needs.
- A performer that exercises flexibility and openness, with the courage to defend unpopular points of view when they add value for the customer or the business.
- Build, coach and mentor teams of User Experience Designers at different levels of expertise.
- Ability to communicate concepts, ideas and strategies using rapid visual design techniques.
- Ability to work within the constraints of a Design System with flexibility, and a desire to push existing standards to the next level by contributing back to our Design System library.
- A positive and resilient personality with a growth mentality. You must be able to embrace feedback and have a desire for continuous improvement.
- A demonstrable history of applying design thinking tenets and user centered design principles to design problems.
- We are looking for a fast learner who has an appetite to uncover what’s behind both, simple and complex financial solutions.
- A leader who leverages diversity across disciplines/locations/levels to fuel creativity and innovation in product design.
- A leader with innate motivation to drive individual performance through feedback and modelling (recognizing strong performers and coaching under performers).
- A leader with the commitment to get things done and willingness to immerse at the tactical level when required.
- Experience or background in FinTechs or payments specific digital products.
What's in it for you?
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Allyship - We strive to create an inclusive culture where every employee is empowered to reach their fullest potential, respected for who they are, and are embraced through bias-free practices and inclusive values across Scotiabank. We embrace diversity and provide opportunities for all employee to learn, grow & participate through our various Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) that span across diverse gender identities, ethnicity, race, age, ability & veterans.
- Accessibility and Workplace Accommodations - We value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. Scotiabank continues to locate, remove and prevent barriers so that we can build a diverse and inclusive environment while meeting accessibility requirements.
- Remote-friendly work environment will provide you with the flexibility to perform at your best.
- Upskilling through online courses, cross-functional development opportunities, and tuition assistance.
- Competitive Rewards program including bonus, flexible vacation, personal, sick days and benefits will start on day one.
- Dynamic Office - Fully equipped gym, showers, games room, bowling alley, micro market, free tea & coffee, universal washrooms, wellness rooms, and lots of space for team collaboration.
- Community Engagement - no matter where you choose to work from; we offer opportunities for community engagement & belonging with our various programs such as hackathons, contests, cooking with friends, Humans of Digital and much more!
Work arrangements: Hybrid
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.