Process Pipeline Hydraulics Engineer
City : Edmonton
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Process Pipeline Hydraulics Engineer - ( 230001OM )
Stantec is seeking a Pipeline Hydraulics Process Engineer having experience in the energy industry with keen interest and transferable skills to work on projects in the areas of conventional oil & gas, energy transition, renewable energy, and low-carbon initiatives. This position is for the process engineering group in Calgary.
As the Pipeline Hydraulics Process Engineer, you will work on a variety of complex projects, as a discipline lead independently on smaller scope projects and/or as a team member on larger projects. You will lead, evaluate, select, specify, and engineer certain processes, methodologies, or products for a project. You will perform various tasks, including simulations, calculations, and support fieldwork. The projects that the Process Engineer is assigned to may have complex features that will require the application of mature knowledge and both critical and creative thinking. The successful candidate should have experience in any of the areas of oil and gas (upstream, midstream, or downstream), chemical, or industrial process design. The projects would comprise feasibility studies, FEED, and or detailed design/engineering phases of execution.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Engineering design activities for projects of various sizes and complexity. Delegation to Junior Process Engineers may be required, as well as assistance to the same and review of their deliverables. Peer review of deliverables created by other intermediate to senior-level engineers may also be required.
- Complete tasks in a timely, thorough, and organized manner. Tasks may include, but are not limited to:
- Development and review of steady-state and transient pipeline hydraulic analysis/ studies for new and existing installations.
- Generation and documentation of hydraulic analysis results and study reports.
- Development and review of engineering drawings such as PFDs and P&IDs.
- Development and review of process simulations for facilities using Aspen HYSYS.
- Performing adequacy checks and evaluation of new and/or existing equipment.
- Sizing calculations for equipment, lines, and instrumentation and documentation of calculations performed.
- PSV sizing, ORA, and equipment overpressure protection design, generation of documents such as heat & material balance tables, line designation tables, PSV lists, cause and effect diagrams, setpoint lists, car seal lists, operating philosophies, equipment datasheets, and instrumentation datasheets.
- Collaboration with other process team members, engineering disciplines, and construction team, as required to deliver quality products to clients.
- Performing fieldwork necessary to gather data, check tie-ins and provide home-office construction and commissioning support.
- Meet all requirements of the Client and Stantec Quality and Safety requirements. Ensure appropriate reference material is always utilized.
- Client interface – Establish and maintain positive client relationships. Carry out discussions and presentations, as required.
- Assist in the preparation of proposals and estimates for new projects.
- Authenticate engineering drawings and deliverables, as required.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Strong knowledge of pipeline and piping hydraulics, both steady state and transient including a thorough understanding of scenarios such as surge, water hammer, slugging etc.
- Extensive working experience with hydraulic software (Synergi Pipeline Simulator, Fathom, Impulse).
- Working knowledge of simulation software (HYSYS, VMGSim (Process Symmetry), Promax, etc.).
- Previous working experience with large pipelines and hydraulic systems/ installations is preferred.
- Working knowledge of process engineering design of oil & gas facilities will be an asset.
- Knowledge of flaring simulations using Aspen Flare Analyzer will be an asset.
- Experienced with developing, interpreting, and checking PFDs and P&IDs. Strong ability to read piping isometrics and piping plans.
- Very proficient with process calculations, and extremely proficient with Microsoft Excel.
- Comprehensive knowledge of design guidelines (API standards, AER directives, etc.).
- Experience working with electronic markup software, such as Bluebeam, would be an asset.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in a project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Requires superior understanding of Microsoft Office Suite
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or equivalent preferably Chemical or Mechanical Engineering.
- Minimum of 7-15 years of experience.
- Registration with APEGA or other jurisdictions as a P.Eng. is required.
Typical office environment working with computers; Stantec offers a flexible work environment (a hybrid model of working in the office and at home). Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. The experience will forever shape your future. #FeelingEnergized
We would like to thank all candidates that apply; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Other Locations : Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Organization : BC-1109 Energy-CA Alberta South
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Apr 10, 2023, 3:14:50 PM
Req ID: 230001OM
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans