City : Surrey, BC
Category : 1135-General Counsel
Industry : Education
Employer : Kwantlen Polytechnic University - KPU
Kwantlen Polytechnic University
KPU offers all learners opportunities to achieve success in a diverse range of programs that blend theory and practice, critical understanding, and social and ethical awareness necessary for good citizenship and rewarding careers. KPU strives to implement initiatives that will attract, support, engage, and retain KPU’s people and create an environment where all employees see themselves as contributing to student learning.
JOB OVERVIEW: PRIVACY ADVISOR
This role reports to the Manager, Information Access and Privacy.
The Privacy Advisor supports the University’s compliance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (“FIPPA”) by coordinating Privacy Impact Assessments (“PIAs”), providing privacy advice in alignment with University policies, procedures, and guidelines and responding to access to information (“FOI”) requests. The Privacy Advisor will regularly perform work involving highly sensitive and confidential information and will regularly be exposed to records and information involving legal University matters.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 1-3 years’ recent, relevant experience working in a similar role or in a legal/regulatory environment. Public body preferred
- 1-3 years’ demonstrated knowledge of privacy and access to information legislation, including administrative requirements and processes, FIPPA preferred
- 1-3 years’ experience coordinating, reviewing, and advising on Privacy Impact Assessments (“PIAs”)
- 1-3 years’ experience coordinating and preparing records for access to information (“FOI”) requests
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Team player with demonstrated experience working in a collaborative environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to interact and communicate with all levels of the organization and external parties.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with excellent follow-through.
- Experience interpreting and applying legislation, policies, and directives.
- Experience working in a post-secondary institution an asset.
- Working knowledge of information technologies and project management principles and practices.
- Demonstrated flexibility to adapt to changes in organizational priorities.
- Ability to travel between campuses is required.
Click here for a more detailed job description
Does this role sound like it was made for you, yet you don’t check every box?
We at KPU understand that experiences and qualifications may look differently for everyone and, if this job description is of interest to you, we encourage you to apply.
WHY JOIN KPU?
- Recognized as one of B.C.'s Top Employers
- KPU is committed to actively fostering an equitable and inclusive working environment
- Competitive compensation
- Hybrid environment, flexible work around core hours
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan - College
- Extended Medical, Dental, Healthcare Spending Account, Sick Leave, Long Term Disability, Life Insurance, Optional Life Insurance, Accidental Death and Dismemberment, Emergency Travel Assistance, Employee and Family Assistance Program, Teledoc
- Professional Development Days: up to 10 days paid per year
- Maternity and parental leave top-up
- Generous vacation package
- Campus work environment, cafeteria, outdoor sitting areas and nearby walking trails
- Campus athletic and fitness centers with a variety of instructor-led classes
- Tuition waiver program – eligible to waive tuition costs of courses at KPU equivalent to 3 credits per semester
- Inhouse training and development
- Networking and social events such as KPU Day, Holiday Social etc.
- Intercampus shuttle
- Access to automotive, horticulture, brewery and other programs’ services
- Clubs: Jeopardy, Toastmasters, E-sports, Ted Talks etc.
- Library and Bookstore (discounts)
**Some slight differences for temporary roles
Note to Applicants:
Kwantlen Polytechnic University welcomes and encourages applications from equity deserving groups and diverse experiences including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2S/LGBTQIA+ community.
If there are any barriers that you are experiencing or an accommodation that we can provide to support you through the application process, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.