Power Systems Studies Engineer
City : WINNIPEG
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Power Systems Studies Engineer - ( 230001UQ )
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you’ll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting-edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you’ll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world’s top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
The Power Systems Studies Engineer will perform a wide range of power systems studies and modelling, mainly in the areas of electromagnetic transients simulation (EMT) . Other study areas could include power flow, short circuit, transient stability and small signal analysis.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Perform power system modelling and studies mainly focused on EMT type software PSCAD, but could also include PSSE, PSLF, DIgSILENT, RTDS and other software tools. The studies could include:
+ Switching studies
+ Sub-synchronous oscillations
+ Insulation coordination
+ Pipeline induction
+ AC/DC interaction
+ Harmonics analysis including resonance
+ Control system design and coordination of FACTS and HVDC; including STATCOM, wind, solar, inverter-based renewable generation, etc.
+ AC network reduction and dynamic performance studies
+ Hardware-in-loop (HIL) studies and protection-in-loop (PIL) testing
- Develop and compare technical solutions for projects and prepare comprehensive study reports
- Review technical documentations
- Meet with clients to discuss solutions
- Assist/Lead proposal development
- Manage time, scope and budget of assigned projects
- Write and present papers at conferences
- Participate in IEEE and/or CIGRE working groups
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Deep understanding of electrical power system and power electronics theory and EMT modelling
- Experience with programs such as PSCAD, RSCAD, PSSE preferred
- Experience with other power system simulation tools such as DIgSilent, EMTP-RV, PSLF, DSATools and other similar study tools also beneficial
- Familiarity with one or more programming languages (Python, C , Fortran, Matlab, etc) is an asset
- Exceptional communication skills, including both writing and public speaking/presenting
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively explain and discuss solutions with clients
- Self-motivated and able to collaborate harmoniously with a group of professional engineers
- Willing and able to travel internationally
Education and Experience
Minimum Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering, experiences with EMT modelling or Ph.D. degree preferred.
Minimum 5 years’ experience in power systems/power electronics, preferably with knowledge in HVDC, FACTS and inverter-based renewable generation, (Graduate study or postdoctoral research experiences in EMT simulation related area included).
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-Manitoba-Winnipeg
Organization : BC-1265 Energy-CA Central
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Apr 21, 2023, 7:22:45 AM
Req ID: 230001UQ
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans