Power Studies Engineer
City : Burnaby
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Power Studies Engineer - ( 2300043K )
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you’ll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company but have the agility of a specialized power group. We work on some of the most challenging and cutting-edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you’ll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world’s top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
Our Power team is looking to fill the role of a Power System Studies Engineer. Reporting to the Studies Engineering Lead, this position offers you the opportunity to work in a project team environment with other engineers and designers involved in the detailed electrical design and project management of high voltage substation and power projects.
The successful candidate will be working in the areas of substations, renewable energy, air & gas insulated substation engineering & equipment between the 5kV to 500kV levels. The candidate should have an understanding of substation components, power system analysis and the application of studies to substation, power system design and renewable energy facilities.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for developing engineering drawings of power systems and details
- Prepare reports that present technical and project information in a clear and concise manner and meet client requirements
- Preparation of Power System Study reports
- Coordinate with designers and engineers of other disciplines to complete deliverables
- Interpret and incorporate vendor information into design deliverables
- Perform QA/QC of electrical engineering design packages and reports
- Provide regular progress updates related to deliverables on project
- Support commissioning and field engineering
- Development of Project Estimates
- Interfacing directly with clients and directing work for a team
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Strong safety mindset
- Able to demonstrate solid technical writing and verbally communicate the same
- Ability to visualize and evaluate equipment details, power system concepts, phase-to-ground, phase-to-phase clearances, and drawing relationships
- Understanding of Power System analysis fundamentals with knowledge in several analysis software packages (ETAP, SKM, PSSE, CYME, CYMDIST, CYMCAP, PSCAD, EMTP, EasyPower, CDEGS etc.)
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and develop strong client relationships
- Strong organization skills and ability to manage multiple tasks
- Experience developing relay settings and capturing setting calculations in a clear and concise report is considered an asset
- Ability to manage and deliver Engineering deliverables as per project schedule and within budget
- Ability to work closely with Drafters, Engineers and Leads to meet with project timelines for engineering deliverables
- Ability to understand client specific requirements (standards & specifications) and applicable codes & regulations for preparing physical electrical packages
- Well developed writing skills, able to communicate complex technical concepts in emails and reports
- Ability to work with designers and drafters to develop CAD drawings
- Proficient with standard office software such as MS Excel, MS Word, Adobe Acrobat
- Operating knowledge of the Canadian Electrical Code and other relevant design standards.
- Ability to attend site visits and capture all technical data needed for estimates and execution of related substation expansions
- Experience in developing drawing packages, specifications and construction work packages
- Travel may be required but is not anticipated to be more often than 5 days per month
Education and Experience
- Bachelor Electrical Engineering or with 5 or more years experience
- Professional Engineering designation is a requirement
Typical office environment working with computers; Stantec offers a flexible work environment (a hybrid model of working in the office and at home). Field work may be required which includes exposure to the elements and possibly inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.The experience will forever shape your future. #FeelingEnergized
We would like to thank all candidates that apply; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Other Locations : Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby, Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Work Locations :
Organization : BC-1182 Energy-CA West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Oct 10, 2023, 7:23:32 AM
Req ID: 2300043K
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans