City : Saint John
Category : Engineering & Science
Industry : Paper manufacturing
Employer : J.D. Irving
POWER ENGINEER – Chemical Recovery & Utilities (CRU)
We are looking for a Power Engineer - Chemical Recovery & Utilities (CRU) Relief to join our team, based in at the Irving Pulp & Paper Mill in Saint John, NB.
As a Power Engineer at Irving Pulp and Paper, you will join a team of dedicated Operations and Maintenance professionals and contribute to the safe and reliable operation of our Thermal facilities. At Irving Pulp & Paper, you will gain exposure to leading edge technologies and process equipment which offers ample opportunity for skilled Power Engineers to develop long term careers. The successful candidate will have the ability to work safely with excellent communication skills, attention to detail and good organization skills
In this role, you will provide your knowledge and expertise of related operations to maintain and optimize processes and process equipment. Working in multiple operational areas within the Chemical Recovery and Utilities Department, you will utilize and expand your experience with equipment including:
- B&W Recovery boiler capable of processing 4.2 Mlbs/day of black liquor and 580,000 lbs/hr of 900 psi steam
- B&W Power boiler that burns biomass fuel, natural gas, and bunker “C”. Capable of producing 300,000 lbs/hr of 900psi steam
- Two General Electric turbo generators. Both double extraction and one with condenser. Capable of producing all the in-house power of 31 Mw’s.
- Upgraded and Modernized black liquor evaporator train with in house condensate treatment. Concentrator and High Solids Crystallizer, bringing the firing solids to 74%
- Modern Andritz lime kiln and slaker in causticizing.
- 3 new modern automated Demineralizers trains.
- Working on a 12-hour shift schedule, 2 days, 2 nights, 4 off.
- Maintain and optimize equipment and processes
- Start up and shut down all plant equipment independently
- Issue safe work permits and prepare equipment for maintenance in compliance with all, guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Troubleshoot equipment issues
- Assist with the commissioning of new projects
- Assist in overseeing day to day plant and field activities
- Identify and scope out opportunities to maximize production, minimize operating costs, and eliminate downtime
- Maintain proper documentation, including operating logs, maintenance records, and safety and environmental reports
- You provide relief for various operating positions, including clean up, lifting and handling of materials and general labour duties.
- Completed 2 years post- secondary education in Power Engineering, 3rd Class Power Engineering Certificate/Diploma
- Have completed or be eligible to complete 2nd class power Engineering Certificate within 3 years of date of hire
Founded in 1882, J.D. Irving, Limited (JDI) has operations in Eastern Canada (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador), and the United States. We are a team of 18,000 dedicated employees.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please apply online. #LI-AT1
We appreciate your interest in our company however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Pulp and Paper Limited is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees