Pluggable Optics Hardware Engineer
City : Ottawa
Category : Engineering
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
Ciena may well be the most important technology company you’ve never heard of. The innovations that wow us (driverless cars), and those we now take for granted (the ability to mobile-stream your favorite show) are the products of ingenuity from some brilliant and forward-thinking companies. But those companies rely on Ciena, another vanguard of innovation, to create and advance the underlying networks that bring their breakthroughs to our doorsteps. VR, AI, IOT, 5G … literally none of it would be possible without the mind-boggling technology that makes the internet itself work. For more than 25 years, Ciena has been the global leader in networking strategy, and our technology has been part of the critical infrastructure running within the most advanced companies in the world.
What we’re looking for:
An optical transceiver engineer with knowledge of the functionality and testing methods of optical transceivers. The successful candidate will join our Optical Transceiver team and be responsible for development activities related to Ciena’s Packet Optical Platforms pluggable optics portfolio. Responsibilities of the position include investigation of emerging pluggable optics solutions, leading the introduction of new pluggable modules, and managing the life cycle of these products.
What will you do at Ciena?
A key part of the role is to efficiently manage interactions with pluggable optic suppliers, test and qualify new modules added to the portfolio. Coordinate plug introduction activities and provide technical support required within Ciena’s cross functional teams throughout the life of the product. This role provides a candidate an opportunity to work with leading edge transceiver technology on Ciena’s world leading optical platforms.
- Creating and maintaining specifications in response to requirements from several different product platforms.
- Understanding and aligning market place standards with product requirements.
- Working with Ciena’s supply chain organization to select suitable pluggable optic suppliers.
- Lab evaluation of pluggable optics modules, including optical and electrical interface performance, verifying compliance with specifications, driving resolution of issues.
- Participation in early Ciena product design, helping architects understand pluggable optics and emerging capabilities
- Support the broader Ciena team (HW, SW, FPGA, Product Verification, Project Managers) as modules are tested with circuit pack HW and SW.
- Interact with Ciena design teams and suppliers to resolve any issues.
- Provide design support over the lifecycle of the module for product changes (PCNs) issued by suppliers, field failure investigations, and sales support.
- Interact with various teams outside design in Ciena (supply chain, customer reliability, component engineering, product line management)
Collaboration with stakeholders
- Efficiently manage interactions with pluggable optic suppliers
- Creating and maintaining specifications in response to requirements from several different Ciena product platforms.
- Working with Ciena’s supply chain organization to select suitable pluggable optic suppliers
- Providing technical expertise to Ciena support teams throughout the life of the product.
Areas of impact
- Ensuring optical modules from suppliers meet general market and Ciena specific specifications.
- Ensuring optical module performance on all supported Ciena platforms.
- Providing technical support to leading edge optical solutions.
- Assisting in Ciena financial success by implementing numerous cost reduction opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Experience with optical transceiver hardware, test measurements and lab skills
- Experience with optical and electrical test methods and equipment
- Knowledge of fibre optic communications
- Experience with software lab tools (e.g. MATLAB) for the purposes of simulation and test automation
Rewarding experience. Meaningful outcomes.
Making a difference in people's lives through design and implementation of leading network technologies. That's what motivates us.
A distinct way to work
Free thinking, free discussion, and collaboration are the norm. Expect more satisfying outcomes - both personal and professional.
Ciena values the diversity of our workforce and respects its employees as individuals, regardless of race, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, gender or age.
Ciena is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, you should advise Ciena in a timely fashion of the specific needs / accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to any specific needs / accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
What you can expect from us
- You will receive notification of your successful application
- Successful applicants will be contacted by Talent Acquisition for an initial discussion
- If suitable you will be considered for the short list and our formal interview process
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
Ciena is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability and protected veteran status.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.