City : Brampton, ON, CA
Category : Engineering
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Rogers
Our Digital & Technology team wakes up every day with one goal in mind – to connect Canadians to the people and things that matter most. Collectively, we’re proud to support 30 million Canadians each month.
We manage a robust portfolio that champions the leading edge of technology and media. We drive projects that expand connectivity to underserved communities from coast-to-coast-to-coast; build and enhance our fixed broadband network to provide high-speed Internet, TV and Smart Home Monitoring; and support our world class wireless network, offering our customers Canada’s largest and most reliable 5G network. As the Digital & Technology team, we are building our tomorrow, today.
Come play a key role in building the future of innovation in Canada, Let’s make your possible.
Do you enjoy working on high-scale, complex, and high visibility projects and programs? If yes, consider the following opportunity:
Transport Operations is responsible for Building/Provisioning, Managing, Maintain and Support of the Optical Transport Network coast to coast. We interact with various groups internally and externally to provide professional services. This team proactively interact with a variety of platforms across Network Operations Engineering and Planning, for the following, Fault, Configuration, Support, Performance Management and Change Management to deliver a high level of service quality and reliability in turn reducing MTTR and making sure the customer has the best experience possible. The successful candidate will become a Transport Infrastructure Specialist. Working with the network operations team supporting the network as well as building new service.
As part of the recruitment process, successful candidates will be required to complete criminal and credit background checks.
What you will do:
- Design and implement automations across Network Operations using combination of in house and open-source development tools.
- Implementing and reviewing network tools/scripts.
- Identify new automation opportunities based on data driven analysis.
- Provide 24x7 on call Tier 4 network technical support and fault management of critical failures and non-critical problems to internal departments such as NOC (Network Operations), Implementation, Engineering and Service Delivery.
- Perform provisioning functions as required for growth activities, and project work
- Interface with vendor Technical Assistance Centre’s for assistance in resolving escalated network outages, chronic customer issues and network performance issues.
- Manage maintenance window planned and non-planned activity between the hours of Midnight and Six A.M on an as required basis.
- Liaison with network engineering & PMO to ensure network anomalies are addressed in accordance with criticality
- Implement engineering specifications for software, hardware and feature upgrades
- Enhance network security through user administration of all transport network elements.
- Administer and deploy network element backup policies as part of preventive maintenance routines to ensure effective recovery of systems in emergency situations
- Run monthly performance reports and provide in depth analysis of metrics that do not meet SLA’s
- Perform proactive analysis of statistical data to identify potential fault trends and utilization issues.
- Represent Network Management at project meetings to ensure effective integration of new technologies or enhancements of existing equipment
- Develop, establish, and manage platform specific policies and procedures, including Disaster Recover Procedures and Business Contingency Planning.
- Compile investigation reports for major network outages and customer related issues.
- Create training documentation and provide training to internal departments
What you bring:
- Post-secondary degree/diploma, specializing in telecommunications
- Minimum of 5-10 years’ experience in a Technical Assistance or Network Management environment within a Optical Transport environment
- Experience and knowledge in Optical Transport Systems including Legacy platforms.
- Proven troubleshooting skills and an ability to remain focused during emergency restorations of failed services.
- Proven communication, analytical, organizational, and decision-making skills to access situations quickly and make informed decisions
- Core competencies should include integrity, accountability, adaptable, teamwork, and initiative and customer service orientated.
- PC literate including a working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite – FTP, Telnet, C++, Python, TL1 Scripting
- Ability to work efficiently and independently in high stress situations.
- Knowledge of Data analytics and Log parsing into tools: I.e., Splunk, Graphana and others is an asset
- In-depth knowledge and proven practical experience with:
- SONET - OC192, OC48 OC12 & OC3
- Fiber Technology
- Fibre Ring Topologies
- Fibre Plant Policies
- WAN/LAN internetworking principles and practices,
- Scripting TL1, CLI
- Detailed knowledge of the following Systems and equipment would be an asset:
- Nortel Optera Metro 3500/5200 and OC48 platforms
- Proficient written and oral communications skills
- Experience with automation mythologies is strongly preferred to deliver innovative ideas to increase efficiency
- Ability to make quick decisions in high stress environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment, in an organized, methodical, and pleasant manner.
- Ability to express good collaboration across the organization’s customers, stakeholders, and peers.
- Well-versed in the latest technology offering, capabilities, and trends.
Schedule: Full time
- Our people are at the heart of our success
- Our customers come first. They inspire everything we do
- We do what’s right, each and every day
- We believe in the power of new ideas
- We work as one team, with one vision
- We give back to our communities and protect our environment