City : Toronto
Category : Other
Industry : Food
Employer : Maple Leaf Foods
We are proud of our roots, which we can trace back over 100 years, but our vision and purpose are decidedly forward looking. As we pursue our vision to become the most sustainable protein company on earth, we work to reconnect families with the goodness of food. We are helping to transform the world’s food system so that it can survive, and thrive, for generations to come.
Our job is to make great food
Maple Leaf Foods embraces a strong, values-based culture, where dedicated employees take pride in doing what’s right for our consumers, our customers and our communities. Our 11,500 employees thrive in an engaging, open and inclusive workplace that fosters safety and transparency, along with individual leadership and responsibility. Each Maple Leaf team member has a voice and plays an active role in helping all of us achieve our goals with passion and discipline. We support one another to grow professionally, to learn new skills and to take on challenging experiences in the spirit of continuous improvement.
The position is accountable for managing the overall results of the plant located in Port Perry, ON, while strictly adhering to Food Safety and Quality requirements and providing superior customer satisfaction as a lowest cost producer. The Plant Manager is charged to ensure the plant operates using good manufacturing practices, in an environment that is in compliance with health & safety and human resources standards.
A snap shot of some of the exciting things you will lead and do:
• Accountable for production costs, labour utilization, yield, results of Operations Cost Improvement initiatives and Six Sigma initiatives; set and meet Six Sigma and OCI Targets
• Ensures adherence to the Company’s Food Safety requirements and Good Manufacturing Practices, including the completion of BRC and audit targets
• Continuously improve the reduction of operating costs using Six Sigma methodology
• Maintain and build a productive and positive employee relations environment through effective implementation of positive employee relations initiatives
• Develops, recommends, and implements Capital Improvement for plant, including the preparation and execution of a Capital Plant budget
• Responsible for preparing and executing the plant overhead budget and direct product cost targets
• Meet or exceed customer service level targets through the synchronization of process/activities with all functional area processes, from demand planning through to the delivery to the customer
• Manage the performance of the hourly and salaried team through effective implementation of Human Resources processes and policies and all Leadership Edge initiatives
• Set and meet all Health & Safety targets
• Support Marketing and Product Development on new product initiatives
• Maintains and applies knowledge through compliance with CFIA, Ministry of Labour, Ministry of Environment, Health & Safety, Collective Agreements, and other legislative bodies that impact plant performance
• Responsible for adherence to all policies and procedures for Quality Assurance, Food Safety and customer specifications on a day-to-day basis
• Recognize, support and commit to the facility food safety and quality assurance promise
What we have to offer you:
• Be part of a company with an inspiring and unique vision, with a deep commitment to sustainability and expanding its leadership in sustainable protein across North America
• Professional and career development opportunities, supported by our commitment to talent development through our partnership with the Ivey School of Business.
• Competitive Health and Wellness benefits that start on your first day of employment
• Defined Contribution Pension Plan
• Commitment to Learning – courses, resources and tools provided to all employees
• Employee Assistance Program
What you will bring:
The successful candidate will be results-oriented, thrive in a fast paced, demanding environment, and have the ability to develop positive working relationships with associates and employees. Candidates must have:
• Post-secondary education in one of the following disciplines: food science, business, engineering, or operations management
• 5-10 years of production experience in a food processing industry
• 5-7 years’ experience in a management role within a unionized work environment
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Proven decision-making ability using various analytical tools (SAP, variance reports, downtime analysis, SWOT analysis, Six Sigma metrics, etc.)
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Maple Leaf Foods however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants may be subject to a background check and must meet the security criteria designated for the position.
Maple Leaf Foods is committed to Employment Equity and maintaining a diverse workforce. Job applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can contact our Talent Attraction Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis and your request will be responded to as soon as possible.
Subscribe to our newsletter & stay updated