Photonics Software Engineer – Intern/Co-op
City : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Category : Interns, Students & Temporary
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
- We’re a company rooted in people—seeking to create a vibrant and inclusive environment, where everyone feels they can belong.
- Accelerate your career path by gaining hands-on experience and exposure to the latest technology. Our interns and graduates work on real projects in real time in world class labs. Be a part of tomorrow’s future – today.
- Mentoring. Networking. Leadership Opportunities. We recognize that the learning doesn’t stop when you leave school - we champion a team environment for development and provide the tools to achieve success.
- We are big proponents of life-work integration. Our people make a big difference at Ciena, but we want to shine light on their differences outside of working hours too. CienaCares supports non-profit causes important to employees by matching employee financial contributions and dedicating time for volunteering.
4 month work term: May – August or 8 month work term: May - December
How You Will Contribute:
Reporting to the Reconfigurable Line System(RLS) software development team, you will be working with a team of 10 to 15 software engineers to deliver Bug fixes and features for the RLS releases.
- Develop embedded software on a next generation optical network platform.
- Participate in all stages of software development and weekly scrum meetings
- Trouble shoot software issues, provide customer and verification support
- Design and develop unit tests and test-automation suites.
- Identifying software performance improvements through test driven development, automated unit testing, and comprehensive integration testing
- Engage with Product Owners and System Architects to evolve software applications adopting new features and technologies without compromising performance
What Does Ciena Expect of You?
- A sense of urgency – what’s important to the customer is equally important to you. You make getting things done a priority.
- Integrity – you hold yourself to the highest level of personal and professional standards of conduct.
- A commitment to innovation – you continually seek to learn, understand new technologies and ever-changing market conditions, and endeavour to apply that knowledge to Ciena’s advantage.
- You embrace change – thriving in a diverse environment of ever-changing priorities and sometimes stressful situations.
- The flexibility to work independently with minimal supervision as well as part of a broader team.
The Must Haves:
- Enrolled in bachelor’s degree in Computer Science / Engineering or equivalent degree
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and programming skills (C, C++, Python)
- Excellent communication and technical documentation skills.
- Excellent organization skills to manage time, resources, and priorities.
- Familiarity with Linux development environment
- Comfortable in a team environment while still taking accountability and working independently as needed.
- Good understanding of micro-service architecture and real-time systems.
- Experience with building APIs and services using CLI, REST, YANG, etc.
- Experience with automated test frameworks such as Jenkins
- Experience with Scrum/Agile development methodologies.
- Experience with design and development tools such as Bitbucket, Eclipse, JIRA, GDB, Confluence
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.